The San Diego Mountain/Trail and Road Biking Meetup Message Board › Your favorite MTB tires for our local trails

Your favorite MTB tires for our local trails

Jason
user 14437658
Escondido, CA
Post #: 18
My buddy needs new tires, and it got me thinking. With all the combined trail experience in this group, people must have some favorites that work particularly well for our local conditions.

What are your favorites? Do you go fat or keep the rears narrow?
Omar
user 53084902
Carlsbad, CA
Post #: 5
well i like my kenda small blocks for dryer n soft areas aslong you keep low air pressure
but if your riding a little more muddy terrain i would ride kenda karma 2.1 in the rear and kenda navegal 2.25 on the front
A former member
Post #: 6
I have a rigid 29er and today went for my first ride, at Daley Ranch, with new tires. For the front, I am now running a 2.4 Maxxis Ardent and in the rear I am running a 2.1 Kenda Small Bock 8. Let's just say that I am kicking myself for not having replaced the stock WTB tires sooner.

The Ardent goes where you point it and provides a plush ride up front. In back, the Small Block 8 allowed me to climb hills that I previously had to get off the bike and walk up. I might have to get a fender for the front fender for the Ardent was throwing a lot of sand at my frame.

While it's too soon to talk about durability and so forth, let's just say that I was more than just a little impressed.

NOTE: For today's ride, I went with Slimed 29er tubes. I also ran the tires at fairly high pressure. For future rides I'll likely reduce the pressure a bit.
A former member
Post #: 1
I've always liked Panaracer Fire XC Pro's. Make sure you look for the pro with a kevlar bead, since they are lighter but a bit more than the steal bead version. Sine websites will call the kevlar bead "foldable."
Dickson l.
user 10928608
San Diego, CA
Post #: 6
I am a big fan of Specialized Purgatory's S-Works..front and rear...not the fastest tire..but I never worry about washing out and braking with these tires are outstanding..

If I want a little quicker rolling tire...the Maxxis Ardents are pretty good..not as planted as the Purgatorys but close..