addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The San Diego Photography Collective Message Board › Shooting Yosemite...

Shooting Yosemite...

A former member
Post #: 25
We're heading to Yosemite in a couple of weeks and I have questions regarding shooting in Yosemite. Specifically the falls. Bridalveil seems to put out a lot of mist and I've read a lot about equipment getting pretty wet. Is this a big concern? Should I pack some ziploc bags and rubberbands to protect the camera/lens while shooting the falls if I'm up close to them? Any tips around these water related questions are most welcome. I'll be using a Nikon D300, 18-70mm lens, 55-200mm lens, and 105mm micro lens. And I'll have my tripod (Carbon fiber) with me as well.
Thanks so much.
A former member
Post #: 346
Hi Mike-

I've shot Bridalveil Falls in the winter before the spring melt. That being said, I could get up to the base somewhat closer than in the spring. Having a 200mm. + 1.4x teleconverter kept me far enough away to not get too much mist. One thing you need to watch out for is the occasional temporary wind shift that can lift the mist up and over to where you are perched. A bag would be a good idea, but you can purchase cheapie covers for that purpose that would work much better. I don't remember any product names, but a Google search should pop up several. And yes, getting your equipment heavily misted on should be a BIG concern.shock
A former member
Post #: 26
Thanks for the info, Andy. I'll be sure to bring some bags then. Actually my big concern question was more to do with if the chance of mist was a big concern, or not enough to worry about as opposed to if it's a big concern if equipment gets wet. Definitely getting the equipment wet is a big concern. Thanks again.