San Antonio Sportbike Riders Message Board › thanks to all who make ridesmart trackdays possible.

thanks to all who make ridesmart trackdays possible.

A former member
Post #: 712
True that Chad! Enjoyed your write ups tremendously, Scott and Steve. Its really cool to read the impressions of folks who have actually tried this and compare it to the reasons that others haven't. Excuses....

+1
steven w.
weldtec1
Round Rock, TX
Post #: 167

i often hear people say how they can't afford to expirience a trackday but it seems like one can't afford not to. my first thought comes to speeding tickets. one ticket has likely come near the price if not more than the price of a trackday and it pretty much ruins your day. well, there are no cops on the track so that worry is out. as for travel cost, they can be split with anyone going. gas and hotel at half off s better than what obitz can do or you.

buying performance parts before you can perform also comes to mind. many people go all out on an exhaust and power commander spending hundreds to even over a grand. you are the power commander...lol. ridesmart instructors will teach you ow to control your bike so you can deliver power and be in control at the same time. yes, teach you how to ride and look fast in all your pics
whether it be through hart photos or tx moto fotos cool. so many people go out thinking upgrades will make them fast but it's proven every trackay when a guy with all the bells and whistles on a 1k gets blown away by the guy on the stock 600 or sv. yes, those upgrades look good but you'll look even better when your lapping people and feel good because you saved yourself money and can now afford more track days and some gear. if you absolutely need an upgrade then a sprocket can help.

now, i know most all riders love to feel acceleration like you would at the drag strip but i can ensure you that a track like TWS with a 1/2 mile straight (track pics are in earlier posts) will let you get your bike from slow to as fast as you want all day long. the top speed you reach at the strip is what some guys and girls are doing in the turns. eagles canyon is also a track where you can pin the throttle but with more elevation change and heavy braking.

for the price of a trackday you will have fun, make new friends and learn to handle high speed corner entry and exit along with braking. proper braking is a life saving technique especially for those that like or want to ride in the hill country. it's not hard to find yourself riding beyond your skill level when riding with others that have more expirience. they make it look easy but it's because of skills most likely aquired from the track and many hours of seat time. also, i recommend the parking lot drills event that is being planned to everyone

it just seems like the smart idea to spend the $1xx.xx dollars to make you faster than a power commander could ever do and at the same time teach you skills that may save your life. hence the name RIDESMART

A former member
Post #: 719
Steven, is Paul paying you in free track days?? LOL! I'm JUST KIDDING! devilish I couldn't agree with you more! I totally understand what you're saying...as you well know, I'm one of the track day junkies that Ridesmart has helped produce! biggrin
Manny
user 5951470
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 38
OK, Im sold, - Im gonna request time off from work to attend a class in Sept/Oct. - Once I find out for sure what days I have off, I'll let my buddy Jerry or my buddy Shane know so that we can make arraingements.
Manny - 07 zx10r sad
steven w.
weldtec1
Round Rock, TX
Post #: 168
free trackdays...not yet. im gonna make a sign that says: will weld for trackday money i just wish i could have more SA people to go with. if it werent for ASR peeps i would be so alone. manny--- you're gonna love it.
steven w.
weldtec1
Round Rock, TX
Post #: 169
here's a list of things people have learned at the track. this comes from another forum im on. hope its ok to use this to show the benefits of trackdays

--------------------------------------­----------------------------------------­---------

1. Bigbob65 - Learned the limits of my bikes braking capabilitys
2. gospeed81 - I learned to get my bottom off the seat.
3. Level5 - learned not to brake hard in mid corner
4. Jason73- I learned to blip, brake and downshift all at the same time
5. mekrew - if you go fast enough leathers can slide across pavement like a slip and slide
6. Zr1 - I learned crashing is expensive!
7. switch - learned how to brake hard, and to trust modern tire technology, etc.
8. DrAwkwArD - Learned to have confidence in my ability...and my TIRES!
9. maclowry - learned to use the force and listen to my jedi masters, will the bike where you want it to go.
10. jluna9657 - learned that it takes more than just drag racing down the straights.
11.steve600rr - learned to look through the corner and trail braking
12. broken - crashing isn't so bad sometimes and can make people think you're a badass
13. Intermission - I learned I'm slower than I thought
14. worm - That no matter who's faster or slower, when I feel like I'm moving well for me, it's about as much fun as I can have.
15. Blackjack - I learned that parade laps don't count as a track experience since you only go 50 mph.
16. Alstare_Gixxer - I learned that crashing at the track makes me a better mechanic than a Harley guy just riding his bike around.
17. Orion85 - just how bad my BP was, that and I'm too fast for lvl 1 even if I haven't been to that track before.
18. philip - learned what happens when you panic, grab too much brake, and fracture your shoulder blade.
19.hongthaomurphy- ive learned that having your suspension sorted is priceless
20. PYROBUG51-Tires air pressures and Suspension are really important
21. Pattrick- ride my own pace, there is always someone faster
22. Raya Sunshine- I've learned there is some awesome friends at the track
23. Oskar_Z28 - In 2010 - I've learned that I am more out of shape than I thought.
24.agermer-Learned to keep my ball of my foot on the pegs and not the center of my foot! dragging knee not toe!
25. Celine - learned the 14th session in 2 days is NOT the time to be trying to drop lap times
26. Trini - learned that video/pictures are priceless.
27. SIKBLU - learned that you get what you pay for with tires!
28. Tony1K - First track day I learned how slow I really was. Been improving eversince.
29. Captain M-I've learned that I can go WOT & not die.
30. lbjasonc - I learned that lowsiding doesn't hurt that bad
31. -=sean)=- - Use brakes to help bike turn in entering corner and drop the head to get the bike turning more mid-corner. (Wait that's 2 things.)
32. Hypnotic-my body position sucks and I really need to win this so I can improve it!
33. MrT713 - learned how addictive track days really can be...
34. Psycho- that the fastest line around a corner is not always the best for passing.
35. solo - learned to not slide around the tank but pick up the butt and place it
36. HouTex - learned to blip my throttle to match revs when down shifting before turns
37. kingralphthe3rd - learned im still slow
38. proasian3 - learned to get my head lower by Ty himself!
39. JohnK410 - I learned that just because my elbow is on the ground doesnt mean im fast
40. MikeyP - I've learned that having a larger CC bike doesn't necessarily make you any faster when you are riding the track.
41. Monkeypusher - I've learned that I can push harder because of the confidence I've gained in myself and my bike.
42. Sacer625 - I've learned how to ride a bigger bike.
43.BossLady - Combine everything Ive been taught, at once... where I should be looking, body position, trail braking, no coasting, being aggressive & passing, etc
44. Boudreaux - I learned that smaller bikes are more of a challange and thus more fun
45. Mark06gsxr - I learned how much fun track really was, and that I should have been doing it years ago
46. chronic - I learned that the really fast guys are more than willing to help a noob; you just gotta ask
47. JamesP - I learned that I could never really ride my bike until I took it to a track
48. Hando - Its not the bikes limit, its mine
49. Charlie84 - Mainten ance throttle, and how the streets i use to ride like a jack@ss on are outrageously dangerous
50. Dean Laden- Learned that by modualting the clutch you can go into a corner faster and brake deeper while using the engine to help slow the bike down
51. bryhart - fury does not make you faster
52. excbrracer-Worry about being smooth, fast will come.
53. chronic - If you need to go pee, go BEFORE you put on your leathers..
54. HotChickenStrips - Being in good physical shape makes the track fun..being a slob makes it a chore.
55. I learned that if you hit a false neutral going into turn 7 @TWS to pull in the clutch ASAP, before it desides to down shift when it wants to, with out matching the rev's first!
56. Trimmed_jennis - learned that being fat doesn't always mean being slow, but damn sure doesn't mean fast
57. daytona- when you're hot, tired, and hungry you're done! Believe me your collar bone will appreciate it!!!
Manny
user 5951470
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 39
Cool - thnx for the info on things to come - I figure, I'll have to contact RS soon to get dibs on some leathers huh? Im gonna start trying on some entry level track gloves/boots-sad
steven w.
weldtec1
Round Rock, TX
Post #: 174
what size glove and boots you wear. i know some people that have some slightly used gear.
Manny
user 5951470
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 40
med-large gloves, 9 boot - thanks for ur help sir sad - - my next question is, what track would be a good first time experience - tws or cresson?, SAT or Sun? I guess depending on who I can ride along with I should plan on leaving the day before huh? thnxbiggrin
steven w.
weldtec1
Round Rock, TX
Post #: 175
tws is the least technical of the tracks. its a faster track with less hard braking areas. its definately a good place to learn and take in the trackday experience. as for heading out to the track, we leave the afternoon before so that we can drop off the bikes, set up camp or check into the hotel and get some grub. if its a back to back day, sunday is usually a lighter day (meaning less track traffic) since most people have to get back to the grind on monday