WELCOME SCRABBLE FANATICS!
1. What is the purpose of the group?
This group is for for folks who like to get together for Scrabble games in the Santa Cruz (CA) area. We welcome players of all interests, skill levels and playing styles who want to have fun and socialize in a relaxed environment. If you can't get enough Scrabble, this is the group for you. We meet on the second and fourth Sunday of each month to play until we're done. Other helpful links:
The official Scrabble site: http://www.scrabble.c...
Another place to find information about this event: http://games.groups.y...
The Internet Scrabble Club, an excellent place to play online (requires downloading of the program 'WordBiz'): http://www.isc.ro/...2. How will I know where to go and how will I find you?
On the second and fourth SUNDAYS
of each month we meet at Dharma's in Capitola (behind DMV as you leave 41st Avenue) at 3:00pm: http://www.dharmaland...
Not everyone has displayed a picture of themselves, but people carrying Scrabble boards under their arms tend to be a bit conspicuous.3. What can I expect during an event?
We generally have time for two successive games. Upon arrival, it will be easy enough to find the player best suited to your style of play. Bringing a Scrabble game board would be helpful to ensure everyone has a place to play. A PDA and/or dictionary(ies), are optional, but feel free to bring them.
4. Can I bring a friend to an event?
- Although games can be one-on-one, we tend to be less formal than tournament play, allowing foursomes, Clabbers, Super Scrabble, no-score games, and cumulative score games. Different playing styles increase the skills of everyone. There may even be time for games not involving a Scrabble board.
- Regardless of play style, we use the OSPD (Official Scrabble Players Dictionary) for guidance—or whatever dictionary is handy, as agreed upon by players before beginning a game. Feel free to negotiate the type of play.
- We are flexible and emphasize camaraderie over competition. To foster friendliness, and keep the atmosphere positive and upbeat, we eschew racial epithets and other words of that ilk (which are, of course, not in the OSPD).
Certainly! The more people participate in an event the greater likelihood we build a diverse, fun group of individuals who have a good time playing Scrabble. If you know of other people who would like to join the group, please feel free bring them or use the "Invite Friends" link (left margin).
However, you are not obligated
to bring a friend. Let's face it, we all have friends, but part of the point in joining a group like this is to actually meet NEW people. ?and, to be quite honest, if your friends could spell 'sesquipedalianism' or 'sheqalim,' you probably wouldn't have to join a group like this, would you? (Just try spelling the former in a 7-tile-per-rack game.)5. Do I have to RSVP to events if I'm not attending?
No, but doesn't it feel nice to stay in touch? It?s okay to RSVP "maybe" or "no," to let me know that you're interested in participating, and are just unable to attend a specific event.
An affirmative RSVP is encouraged. If you're feeling inspired, you can also use the 'Add A Comment:' section of the RSVP page to describe your enthusiasm for attending!6. Does it cost money to attend events?Members do not pay a membership-based fee to join this group or an event-based fee to attend an event.If this policy should change, members will be told 30 days in advance.
Members only pay for any goodies you may want during the meeting. Sharing with the group is appreciated but not necessary.
So that's it in a nutshell (sort of); everything you ever wanted to know about the Santa Cruz Scrabble Group. Or is it? If not, drop us a line: http://scrabble.meetu...
Congratulations on your decision to meet local Scrabblers like yourself.
All that remains is for you to get out and play some Scrabble! We hope to see you soon!