Drew H.
user 12813246
El Cerrito, CA
Post #: 2
I am interested in how many of you have dived solo (without a buddy) and what your experience with it has been like. Over the years, I have taken many calculated risks with sports and wonder about diving solo. For me, there is such a feeling of connectedness and wonder when I am deeply in nature alone. I have not yet done it but feel it is something I am interested in as I improve my skills again.

thanks for weighing in!
Rick W.
BigRickW
San Jose, CA
Post #: 16
My regular dive buddy has started solo diving because he is a photographer and likes to concentrate on that perfect shot without hanging up a buddy. We also start dives together and split up because I hunt while he does his thing.

It is a calculated risk that you should consider carefully. My sense is that you should buddy dive unless you have a good reason not to.

Good luck and stay safe.
A former member
Post #: 1
My wife and I have been both cave divers for the last 10 years. The NACD (Nat. Ass. Cave Diving) does not encourage solo diving, but also does not forbid it such as PADI or other recreational dive agencies. On the other hand when you are going through a restriction that's like solo diving and you need to know how to handle an issue by yourself. Keep in mind that technical diving as well as cave diving requests a lot of redundancy. We have two over-pressurized 80cf bail out tanks when we dive with our rebreathers, we have 3-4 lights with us, second mask, etc. Technical diving, especially cave diving teaches you to handle tricky problems underwater, therefore if something goes wrong you are better trained to handle the situation. I would recommend anybody who is seriously interested in scuba diving to look into technical and cave diving. It will certainly make you a better diver. Starting from your buoyancy and kicks, etc.

All that said I also do underwater photography on open water single tank dives. My last dive was alone on and inside the Spiegel Grove in the Florida Keys. You need to feel very comfortable under water and accept that you just increased your risk level. The truth is also that wrecks (artificial reefs) such as the Spiegel Grove are full of scuba divers and someone will give you that necessary sanity breath on your way up.