Seattle Google Developer Group (GDG) Message Board Android › Need Android / Java programming classes with live teacher?

Need Android / Java programming classes with live teacher?

Daevid V.
DAE51D
Seattle, WA
Post #: 2
I'm a LAMP Guru and have founded several companies including WildTangent and Lockdown Networks. I coded in J++ (Microsoft's embrace extend version of Java before it became C#) back in 1998 - 2001.

I just got an HTC Evo 4G last month (coming from a long time PalmOS lover) and am starting to try and develop in Java again for Android -- mainly to make/port some apps/features that PalmOS has had for 20 years and Android is severely lacking. Also I have some ideas for "a better mouse trap". However, I find it a bit slow going reading the tutorials online (especially when they're broken!) Anyways, I digress...

I'm looking for some classes to take that will cover everything I need to know about Android app development, from the basics to intermediate and even perhaps some advanced techniques (or maybe an advanced course as a follow up to the initial course offering). Ideally the course would assume at least a basic knowledge of programming and Java. I don't want to waste time on, "this is a 'for' loop and here's how it works", but I also don't want them to assume I'm a J2EE expert and code in Tomcat and JavaBeans either.

I work my day job full time in Bothell, so nights is best, but I can be somewhat flexible. East-side is better than Seattle, but again, I'll work with the options available to me.

Alternatively, I'd be open to the idea of a one-on-one private tutoring with some Android guru out there who would want to help teach me (paid per session or hour of course) and at the same time we could develop my app together (or portions thereof). For example, each session would be some new portion and my "homework" would be to implement it further -- here's how you make a single tab, your assignment is to make three more tabs, change their icons and text, etc. In developing the app I have in mind (nothing really fancy from a GUI standpoint and I believe it uses standard widgets and such) I think it would cover most of the stuff any app should encounter such as: layout, tabs, different resolution screens, vertical only (for now), option menu, lists, checkboxes, buttons, storage locally, (storage to cloud maybe), camera (picture take and barcode read), accessing a remote web page API (of my own creation).
Daevid V.
DAE51D
Seattle, WA
Post #: 5