addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Seattle MySQL Meetup Group Message Board › Replication and INNODB

Replication and INNODB

Jerry P R.
Seattle, WA
Post #: 2
I'm looking for information that gives me a high-level understanding of replication using master-master configuration.
How does MySQL know when a master goes down so the slave takes over. How does that impact the application using the database being replicated?
I've spent some time in researching online and am disappointed with what I've found so far. I'm hoping someone can share an online resource or book that does a thorough job of explaining replication, the various ways to configure MySQL, and the details in how to configure, manage, and monitor.
Tom K.
Lynnwood, WA
Stock MySQL doesn't have a mechanism to automatically switch masters. That is something that would have to be built in your application or outside of MySQL.

There are a couple solutions that I've heard of recently which are outside the application layer. MHA has been out for a bit and looks pretty good. Percona Replication Manager was announced late last year but I'm not sure how close to ready that is though. I don't have any links but looking into LVS or HAproxy would be other load balancer type options.

If you don't already follow Planet MySQL you should. I'm sure any interesting announcements would be mentioned there. Hope that helps.
Artem L.
user 36313792
Seattle, WA
I've recently run into a presentation by Ivan Zoratti of SkySQL, it mentions a set of HA technologies and their trade-offs: http://www.slideshare...­