addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Memphis Freethought Alliance Message Board › Can we please have more Sunday meetups?

Can we please have more Sunday meetups?

A former member
Post #: 2
Just thinking out loud here. I must add that this might actually apply more to MA, Book Club, Ockham's, and others more than it actually applies to MFA. However, most of those members are members here also, so I thought I might be able to get everyone in one thread.

I miss a lot of (okay, most) meetups due to scheduling snafus such as kids' soccer, basketball, art class, acting class, games, other family stuff, sheer exhaustion after a long day, etc., most of which tends to only occur Monday through Saturday. Thus, Sunday is by far the most free day I have. Most people I know are in similar positions. However, with the exception of the monthly MFA meetings, no meetups seem to be scheduled on Sunday. Why is this? My only guess is the tradition of leaving Sunday out of schedules for church. Ahem..

I have a feeling that very few (if any) of the people in any meetup I may go to actually attend church, and I can't say that those attending church are people who's insights into life, the universe, and everything have opinions I have not yet heard thousands of times. In a Carlin-esque way, I suggest that at worst it might actually thin the herd a bit and strengthen the gene pool...

Can we please have more Sunday meetups?
A former member
Post #: 61
I'd like the book club to be on Sunday - anyone else?
A former member
Post #: 7
Funny observation about no meetups being scheduled on Sunday d/t force of habit for church. I doubt that is the reason here though. I actually work every Sunday as it is one of the few days of the week I am guaranteed hours. All the "normal" people want off for church biggrin.

Good luck getting some Sunday meetups!
David
user 32787922
Memphis, TN
Post #: 5
>> All the "normal" people want off for church.

Key word there is 'normal'. Sunday's are boring for many of us 'abby-normals' (ala young frankenstein). I'd enjoy a sunday get-together as well. A change in time and perhaps venue would help facilitate bringing in a new crowd. If we move any event to sunday, no doubt there will be some that are enabled, and others that will not be able to attend (yeah, it's a venn diagram sadly). Perhaps we can add something to our list of activities instead of reshuffle. Afterall, we have done this before, the new ochams group is the precident. The question is do we have critical mass for another event? I'd go.

x__ abnormal guy
A former member
Post #: 62
Well I'd still like to see the book club on Sunday. I think atheists have a duty to meet on Sunday. My visits to the big city are limited.