addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Memphis Freethought Alliance Message Board › Secular Coalition for America: Tennessee Chapter

Secular Coalition for America: Tennessee Chapter

A former member
Post #: 9
Depending on how cool you are, you may or may not know that this morning I met with Edwina Rogers, the Executive Director of the Secular Coalition for America http://secular.org/...­. She is looking to recruit a couple of volunteers to represent Tennessee within their organization. They are a broad Umbrella group that lobbies for Secular Interests http://secular.org/co...­. Member groups include American Atheists, American Humanist Association, The Secular Student Alliance, and several others. Currently, they do not have any active local representatives for Tennessee, and I met with Mrs Rogers to get some information on recruiting some people to change that.

SCA Benefits to us being local representatives:
- Secular Coalition for America is a large and powerful lobbyist organization. They exist to put pressure on all levels of politicians.
- With a local SCA representatives, they can more effectively put that pressure on local politicians.

Our Benefits to being a local representative of the SCA:
- Increased visibility. Other members of the SCA will see our group as a local member group.
- Tabling. They will pay for local groups to represent themselves and the SCA at local events. Cooper-Young Festival, etc.
- They put their resources behind us when we go to complain to Tn Senator McAssFace about his Ten Commandments in front of the Courthouse.

Our Responsibilities:
1. We need a couple volunteers to put their name down as being part of the SCA Local Leadership Team (2-5~ people).
2. Once a month, at a time convenient to the local group, at least one member of that team talks over the phone with the main office in Washington to coordinate about, give status reports on, and give updates on things happening in Tennessee or things politicians from Tennessee are up to. Mrs Rogers says that these phone calls are usually around 15 minutes long.
3. Leadership team needs to remain available to step up and help the SCA find people to do things as necessary. What needs doing will vary, but you can expect that we be visiting with politicians, manning tables at events, etc. At least someone from the local leadership team needs to be available to help them coordinate that.

I think it's a good idea, and we should definitely get some volunteers to sign up for this. I plan to volunteer, and I have her contact information if anyone is interested in joining me.