addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Laisa M.
user 13100925
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
Hey guys,

Does anyone have a serger they may be willing to part with :) I don't need anything super fancy, just something that works well, has all the parts, and that has a manual, or at least one that I can find one for.

Let me know whenever you have a minute. I hope to meet everyone soon! I've just been super busy and always seem to work on Meetup nights so I haven't been able to make the meetings :(

Thanks in advance!
Laisa
Roseana A.
sewrose
Austin, TX
Post #: 17
Hi Laisa,

Have you been up to Sew Much More on Anderson Ln? They always have a couple of used sergers for sale, besides the new ones, so there's a range of prices. You can test the machine as much as you want before you buy, and they back up anything they sell. If you want, I could try to meet you there and help you make a decision. Keep in mind, they're not open on Sunday (except Super Bowl Sunday!).

Another option is to call Maurice at City Service Sewing Machines on E. 6th and find out if he has anything on hand. The down sides to this are, Maurice is only there in the afternoons, Mon.-Fri., you can't sit down and comfortably test the machines he sells, and once you leave with something, that's probably it (unless you bring it back to him for repair).

Roseana
Trish H.
sadieloveskiki
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
Sew Much More is awesome! They are a little pricey but have stellar service and are so knowledgeable it's worth it. I have an inexpensive serger I bought on sale for $200 five years ago and when I took it in to be repaired last year I mentioned I wanted a new one. They offered me $200 trade in value on any of their models.

I've also looked on Craigslist and they have pretty decent deals. It's buyer beware but I figure if you're getting a solid serger for a fraction of full price you can spend a little extra on minor repairs and tune-ups. I've noticed a lot of people who went through new hobby phases and splurged on really high end sergers that sat unused for years and they just want to get rid of them.

Good luck! I hope to meet everyone soon. I've also been unable to make it out to gatherings since my family life has been pretty hectic. One of my New Year resolutions : ).

Karel R.
user 4752923
Austin, TX
Post #: 28
Speaking of serger repair, I recently took my to Hancock's for servicing because I've had my serger for 20+ years and had never had it looked at! They charged $69 and after I took it home I decided to call the repair guy to find out what all he did, so I could be sure it had been done thoroughly. I was satisfied that he had done a very thorough job. I think Sew Much More wanted about $100 for servicing, by the way. I agree that buying a used one, assuming you test drive it to be confident it works well, is a smart investment, and then get it serviced if you are buying it from a private party and not a store that is selling used/refurbished ones. If you buy one that could be fairly old, be sure it has differential feed. I think the current ones all do now, but it used to be a feature only available on high-end models. Differential feed helps to prevent stretchy fabrics from being stretched out of shape when serged. Plus you can use it for other effects.
Kristin
user 9583108
Austin, TX
Post #: 7
My sister bought an old Bernina serger from Sew Much More and they threw in a free lesson.
Laisa M.
user 13100925
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
Thanks guys! I will definitely go by Sew Much More and check it out. I had no idea they had pre-owned machines for sale. Cool!

-Laisa