addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Sewing with Style Message Board › New Meetup: Simple & quick project: a hooded cloak

New Meetup: Simple & quick project: a hooded cloak

Anna N.
Anna_Nguyen
Austin, TX
Announcing a new Meetup for Sewing with Style!

What: Simple & quick project: a hooded cloak

When: October 17, 2009 9:00 AM

Price: $7.00 per person

Where:
Joanns Fabrics
10515 N MO Pac Expy Suite 1
Austin, TX 78759

Hello all,

Just in time for Halloween, a simple & quick project: a hooded cloak!

A cloak, especially a black one, can be the basis of many Halloween costumes: vampire, Zorro, witch, Hogwarts student, Dumbledore, musketeer, etc. How about a short red satin cloak to round out that Lil' Red Riding Hood costume?

I have drafted the pattern for a (optionally hooded) cloak and uploaded it to burdastyle.com. The pattern is free. The pattern includes yardage requirements and cutting instructions. (It also includes construction instructions but don't worry about those since we will sewing the cloak together at the meet-up.)

Please download and print out the pattern and cut out the pieces on fabric of your choice. Last I looked, Jo-Ann at Arbor Walk has a large quantity of a heavy-ish rayon/polyester, in dark denim/black color, with contrasting color on the reverse side of orange, red, or gray. It's on the "red tag" sales rack near the cutting table. That fabric would make for a very snazzy cloak, I think, but of course, you can go with whatever fabric strikes your fancy. If you choose to use this fabric, remember that you will need to buy the fabric and cut out the pieces BEFOREHAND, not on the day of the session! Also, I would stay away from difficult-to-handle stuff such as velvet or very fluid/sheer fabrics; such fabrics make this a NOT-simple and NOT-quick project! smile

Follow the printing and cutting instructions in the burdastyle pattern page. If you opt for a hoodless cloak, you only need to cut out the three cloak pieces. (Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.) Bring the pieces to the session and we will go through the sewing of it together. Susan Menta, another assistant organizer, and I will lead the session.

The meet-up will be on Sat Oct 17, 9am-12pm at the Jo-Ann Fabrics in Arbor Walk, 10515 N Mopac Expressway NB, Bld 1. loc: Austin, TX 78759

Things to do before meet-up:

Stuff to bring::

• Cut cloak pieces (duh! smile)
  • sewing machine
  • matching thread, bobbins wound w/ matching thread
  • pins
  • scissors
  • pinking shears, if you choose to finish seams by pinking them

Learn more here:
http://www.meetup.com...­