*Please take note of the important check-in details at Yelp outlined below*
For our June 25th event we are doing something a bit different. We'll talk about Google Glass!
While Glass is powered by Android/ICS, this is not a "pure Android" event, because there is a fair amount of material that is not directly related to Android. However, Google Glass is a new (and perhaps even controversial) technology with myriad possibilities, which makes this an interesting topic for a meetup session. Note that this event is a repeat of a similar talk scheduled for June 20th at SF Rails UG, but with our will have more focus on Glass than Rails. Special thanks goes out to Oswald Campesato who coordinated all of the speakers!
Main Talk: Developing for Google Glass in Rails
Han Kang and Kunal Modi from ThirstLabs will provide an in-depth look at developing for Google Glass. (And by in-depth, we mean in-depth.) Just a few of the things they'll talk about include:
1. Glass architecture and capabilities
2. Rails meets Glass
• googleapiclient (official gem)
• glass-rails (our gem!!)
• pre-defined templates (ours)
• Testing: only using the playground
• Actions and some basic UI complexities/challenges
• Super complicated templates
• Frequency in scheduling pushes
• CSS limitations
4. The Future of Glass
• Our view: “twitter on steroids”
• A Legitimate rails platform: our work and others
• Network effects: what more apps will imply/enable
About the Speakers
Han Kang is a software developer/rubyist at ThirstLabs with a penchant for cutting-edge technologies. (Obviously with his work with Glass.)
Talk 2: 3D Visual Effects with CSS3/jQuery
Oswald Campesato will provide hands-on instruction on 3D visual effects using CSS3 and jQuery. He'll start with a demo of pure CSS3 3D animation effects on a tablet and then cover some of the key concepts of CSS3 for graphics / animation.
He'll also show some CSS3/jQuery code samples that create unusual animation effects and then end by using Google Glass to highlight a CSS3 animation demo.
About the Speaker
Oswald Campesato is a skilled 2D/3D developer and the author of HTML5 Canvas and CSS3 Graphics Primer (which he'll be raffling off a copy at the event). He works atSwiftBot and has worked from C/C++/Java developer to CTO. He's comfortable in 4 languages and trying to learn Japanese, and is working on his 13th book, which is also an HTML-related book.
- Doors will open at 5:30pm to allow enough time for the check-in process.
- Please update your meeting handle to reflect your FIRST NAME AND LAST NAME. Security will be checking IDs at the door. *Please note: You WILL NOT be allowed into the event unless we have your first and last name (that matches the name on your ID) prior to the event.
- Beer and wine will be served at this event, so please keep in mind only folks 21 and over are allowed into the event. (Another reason for the ID check)
- Guestlist will be closing at 11:45AM the day of the event (Tuesday - June 25).
- If you will be coming with a guest, please provide us with their first and last name as well.
- Waiting list folks will be allowed into the event AFTER we get through all the confirmed attendees.
- Yelp is generously providing pizza, drinks, and beer on top of the venue space, so please be respectful of the attached event terms/guidelines: YELP EVENT GUIDELINES.