SF Board Game Geeks Message Board › session report on 8 player game of 1817 on Jan 7, 2013

session report on 8 player game of 1817 on Jan 7, 2013

Eric F.
user 26149042
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1

8 players:

Eric Flood, Aliza Panitz, Joe Masinter, Jengis Alpar, Stephen Cagle, Rob Lopez, Ari Ades (not pictured), Daniel Barnes.

We ended in the middle of the 4Ts, after about 7 hours of play. It was Joe, Stephen, and Rob's first game; it was Jengis and Ari's second play.

Aliza grabbed the combo of large coal and mountain engineers, gaining $20 of buying power - and made it work pretty well, she was in the pump-money-into-2-share-company-which-ha­s-acquired-good-tokens game. Joe floundered with an early mistake, but stayed alive with two new relatively well-funded companies. Jengis built a somewhat solid end-game company but was left with little money and few shares to propel his own interests forward. Stephen drowned hard with a single company with only a 2 train which liquidated and left him with a short of a Daniel's dying company and $10. Rob did well, diversifying into good companies' shares and building a solid end-game company. Ari floundered a bit early, but came up strong with a great mid-game company (2 tokens, each in strong areas on east and west, but would need additional connectivity to survive into the late game). Daniel started strong but poorly acquired instead of buying a 3T or 4T, and despite floating two rescue companies (each of which were immediately acquired/liquidated), wound up in a position where his train couldn't earn revenue higher than his loan interest, and would soon be liquidated. I started a strong company for early, mid, and late, but had about $10 of capital too low and drowned on half-paying for loan interest and lost out on shares.

Estimated ranking up through the 4Ts and probable follow-up game:

1.) Aliza
2.) Rob
3.) Ari
4.) Eric (likely dead in 6Ts or 8Ts)
5.) Jengis (likely dead in 6Ts or 8Ts)
6.) Joe (likely dead in 6Ts or 8Ts)
7.) Daniel (dead in 4Ts)
8.) Stephen (dead in 4Ts)

Honestly, it was pretty close in the top two, and pretty close for who would die in 4-6 place. Joe had a 4T, but didn't have tokens and had two companies to rescue with little liquidity. Jengis had an otherwise solid company with too many loans. I had 2 companies which were just treading water, and would need some influx of capital. If I survived, I was the most likely to score above Ari, but I might have died before Jengis and Joe, it was really hard to read.