SFpython is going to finish the year out with Alex Martelli showing us how Callbacks really work.
*Please take note of the important check-in details at Yelp*
6:15p - Check-in and mingle,with Pizza and Beer provided by our generous sponsor Yelp!
7:00p - Welcome and announcements
7:10p - 3-4 Lightning Talks (5 minutes each)
7:30p - Featured Talk
8:15p - Q & A and more mingling, ping pong, pool
10:00p - Door close and continuing on to Thirty Bear for the late owls
Alex Martelli, an Uber Tech Lead at Google, is author of the well-revered Python in a Nutshell and Python Cookbook, and has one of the highest reputations on stack overflow.
He won the 2002 Activators' Choice Award, and the 2006 Frank Willison award for outstanding contributions to the Python community, is a member of the Python Software Foundation, was the keynote speaker at 2008 SciPy, and has given numerous talks around the world.
Don't call us, we'll call you: callback patterns and idioms in Python
Callbacks (the general "Don't call us, we'll call you" pattern) are a crucial technique for concurrency, event-driven programming (in a disparate variety of fields, from GUIs to parsing), and advanced customization of library and system behavior.
This talk covers callback patterns and idioms, their use in the Standard Python library, and best practices in designing and using callback-based interfaces.
*** important logistics***
Please submit your lightning talk topic when you RSVP for the event. Don't know what lightning talks are? Learn more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_Talk
- Doors will open at 6:15pm to allow enough time for the check-in process.
- Please update your meeting handle to reflect your FIRST NAME AND LAST NAME. Security will be checking IDs at the door. *Please note: YouWILL NOTbe allowed into the event unless we have your first and last name (that matches the name on your ID) prior to the event.
- Beer and wine will be served at this event, so please keep in mind only folks 21 and over are allowed into the event. (Another reason for the ID check)
- If you will be coming with a guest, please provide us with their first and last name as well.
- Waiting list folks will be allowed into the event AFTER we get through all the confirmed attendees.
- Yelp is generously providing pizza, drinks, and beer on top of the venue space, so please be respectful of the attached event terms/guidelines: YELP EVENT GUIDELINES.
As usual, looking forward to meeting you and feel free to ping me with questions or suggestions -