The San Francisco Yorkshire Terrier Meetup Group Message Board › has anyone's yorkie been diagnosed with Insulinoma? help!

has anyone's yorkie been diagnosed with Insulinoma? help!

rachel
mzfiori
South San Francisco, CA
Post #: 37
Basically it's pancreatic cancer…however after nearly 1K in tests they can't find a mass. His nearly 13 year old and this is his first problem. No no mass could mean it's so small that it would be easy to remove or it could mean that it's consuming one or more internal organs?? surgery is 5K. i feel this would be exploratory and with such dangerous levels of insulin/glucose i fear he wouldn't survive anesthesia. If i do nothing he WILL fill with tumors and die from them because the cells ARE there and they are growing at a high rate. Being that he can't live without an organ…(he's also just 6 pounds) I am really torn. life span for our breed is 12-15 years, some longer as you know…
WHAT WOULD YOU DO??? i am in AGONY. please offer advice as i need to make a choice soon. Part of me feels like, well, he never hurt a day in his life, every day was happy…and i want to keep it that way. the only way to do that is to send him over the rainbow bridge, which would be premature if done before visible suffering. thank you for your time. Rachel
A
user 182605448
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
Hello,
I have an appointment this Friday for an ultrasound which is checking for Insulinoma in my 10 year old yorkie. She has pancreatitis, which is managed well on a prescription food of Royal Canin Gastrointestinal low fat. One morning, I noticed she wasn't acting right, loosing her footing and twitching a bit, the vet stated it was low blood sugar. A few days later, I noticed she was twitching a bit, and took her back into the vet. She had low blood sugar again. The vet is "highly suspecting" that it is insulinoma due to her past pancreas issues.
Even if there is a tumor, there is not a guarantee that the ultrasound can find it. (I cannot afford a CT scan...). My vet said she wanted to make me aware of this disease, as it is "highly possible". I don't know if I would choose surgery... I myself am trying to decide. I know the outlook is longer, but she just does not do well with that type of stress, or recovery. I want her to be happy and comfortable. I know your post is older, I really hope your little yorkie is doing well.
Powered by mvnForum

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy