Re: [linux-5] What are the "Internet Security ( Firewall & Antivirus /AntiSpyware / Anti-rootkit) for a personal LINUX system"?

From: Chris H.
Sent on: Tuesday, July 8, 2008 2:58 PM
On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 11:48 PM, TF <[address removed]> wrote:
[snip]
> Issue 3:
> -------
> Not sure what causes the error, but I dislike Yahoo mail personally as I
> have difficulties opening the mail box whether on Linux or on Windows
> especially if your email address ends with ".com" instead of the localized
> address such as "[address removed]". You can convert your address to a
> localized version for improved performance.

Ah yes! Yahoo! Mail really sucks. It locked up my inbox once for a few
weeks for no reason (seems they have some glitches in their AJAX-based
frontends. Didn't bother to try the old HTML version and switched to
GMail and has been very happy with it up til now (disclaimer: I'm
interning with the company that made gmail so don't take my words d:
just try it! ^^)

[snip]
> Final note:
> ----------
> There is no commercial security products for Linux because it has no market,
> lol! Linux is technically safer than Windows, and also due to the market
> share, no one bothers to hack Linux PCs.

That's not true. Linux PCs are easily hacked if you're really into it.
The thing is not many people comes up with rootkits for it, so not
many script kiddies could hack Linux PCs. Basically you need real
knowledge. Linux is a lot safer than Windows, but it is not
unhackable. And the reason why there's no commercial security product
(or very few of them) is because Linux has user-configurable firewall
built into the kernel (iptables). And since it is script-based
(command line based, but usually you'll come up with a script to run
on system init), a lot of people write a third-party, also open source
software, to generate such scripts (I believe ufw does this).

>
> When I first started using Linux late last year, I felt very "naked" without
> the suite of security tools (I have Zonealarm Pro, NOD32, Adaware, Spybot
> S&D, Trojanhunter installed in my Windows partition), now I am more at ease
> and don't even bother to scan my computer :-)

Hmm. Generally, still a good idea to scan once in a while. Unless you
use your computer responsibly (I've used Windows PCs for 3 years
straight without getting any virus before I fully dumped it since I
lacked disk space).

>
> General good practice (Linux only, you need a lot more on Windows)
> --------------------­-------- --------------------­----------------
> 1. Use a router. Even if you do not share the connection, the router is a
> natural hardware firewall and hard to crack. You can get those non-wireless
> types which are about $50.

Not true. Linux iptables is a router! So you don't need a router. In
fact, many people use an old Linux desktop to serve as router for
their home LAN. It is a lot safer than those embedded system router.

>
> 2. Do root kit check. Anti virus is optional for Linux, I install it as I am
> paranoid.

rootkit check is a must, definitely. (:

>
> 3. Use Firefox with "NoScript" extension. The REASON why I am still sticking
> to Firefox and not Konqueror nor Opera which has a nicer interface. NoScript
> will block Java, Flash, Silverlight from running by default, good for
> stopping undesirable programs from running accidentally. You can allow the
> scripts to run on trusted sites by toggling the little menu at the bottom of
> the browser.

Hmm. Seems to be losing ground here with more and more website using
javascript to serve their contents (and not providing alternative
HTML).

Cheers,

-- 
Chris
[address removed]
[address removed]

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy