align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Singapore Linux Meetup Group Message Board › Meetup.com to Charge USD19

Meetup.com to Charge USD19

A former member
Post #: 7
<picking-on-an-inaccuracy>
> Back at the political LUGS meetings!!!! (Not that I have ever been)

If you haven't been to one, how do you get to that conclusion? Hear-say?
Also, what guarantees are there that the SLMG will not become "political".

LUGS was started 12 years ago in 1993 much as what SLMG was started
for - enthusiasts/hackers coming together. LUGS has gone through a lot
and there are good things to be said for it. As with any outfit, online or off,
there are ups and downs and LUGS is no exception and now SLMG is
itself facing it's first crisis.

I would certainly want to see SLMG thrive and flourish but not because of
inaccurate and hear-say descriptions of the alternatives.

</picking-on-an-inaccuracy>

Let's work together. No need for us&thems.

Harish
Darrel C.
darrelchua
Singapore, SG
Post #: 15
Hi All,

< --------- Time out -------------- >

My apologies for my absence as I had been on business travel for the last 2 weeks in Asia and especially the last week when was in China, where I don' t have access to Internet.

I feel sorry to have perhaps started something unintentionally. Reading the email threads, perhaps we can end this particular discussion at this point. Please do not get the misconception that anything has been decided because at SLMG we make decisions by consensus and no one person can make a major decision like that.

Hence, I am thinking of a offsite brainstom meeting for a free exchange of ideas (maybe over beer?). Let's try to preserve the good brotherhood (and sisterhood) we have built up over the past few SLMG meetings. Of course, we are appreciative of the support of Novell and IBM and all those who contributed strongly to the group. I don't think as a group, our mission and charter has changed or swayed in anyway. We can certainly table the options at the next meeting for a friendly internal discussion cos there's still time.

cheers,
Darrel
Tom G.
tomgohj
Group Organizer
Singapore, SG
Post #: 24
Hi Harish,

My conclusion is based on what a lot of people in SLMG state about LUGS, and its something that SLMG is striving not to be. So if that many people draw that conclusion and point out examples, then there is a natural basis to take it as having merit.

No one is saying that LUGS is bad, I would never diss anything in the OSS, but I can have a opinion and its MY opinion not yours. As I said it was my two cents.

Second, let not confuse a problem we have now, with being political. It is something that needs to be resolved and everyone is voicing their opinion so that we can have the best possible course of action. It happens to be different from what most want, but I understand that nothing in life is really free.

My opinion get donations after each meeting (approx: 49 cents each), let meetup.com help drive traffic to our community, grow our group and linux use in Singapore, learn more about Linux from others. Heck I will pay $5 and help buy some of those delish pepper chicken curry puffs !!!!!

Jerry
Roy O.
royong
Singapore, SG
Post #: 11
I'm agreeable to passing the hat, if that's a general concensus. I'll take a share...

Harish:
Most definitely. A "us-and-them situation" wouldn't do the community any good. We already have a small mass to deal with and the community certainly could do with every single shot of support that it can get! Well, I'm always for the community ... here, SGLinux and at LUGS.
A former member
Post #: 8
Thanks, Jerry, for your comments.

Indeed, as an organization ages, some parts of the structure will
begin to fail. What LUGS needs is fresh blood, energy and ideas
to make things happen. The fact that there is such a group is, in
some sense, a failing on the part of LUGS.

However, my plea is that - and thanks Roy for your comment -
we should strengthen the structures we have already and make
it work for the people it serves.

I am willing to contribute $5 as well to the kitty to help pay for
the SLMG.

Harish
Roy O.
royong
Singapore, SG
Post #: 12
If someone if still following up on this thread ... the latest news is that we are covered for monthly running costs until 2006 and shall remain here at Meetup.Com in the meantime.