addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Singapore Linux Meetup Group Message Board › Non-Profit Open Source Organization

Non-Profit Open Source Organization

Tom G.
tomgohj
Group Organizer
Singapore, SG
Post #: 39
HI Francis,

Thanks for the support, now that we have quite a number of potential members I think its time to start bringing this to fruition. The difference that we would like to make is to track Open Source adoption in Singapore by doing yearly surveys and publishing the results.

Tom
A former member
Post #: 9
I think it is great that a open source group is being considered. As the current
president of the Linux Users' Group (Singapore), I might want to offer some
advise on this.

THe process of setting up a society is quite straight forward (very much simpler
than it was when LUGS was established in 1993). The real question is to see
that the group is sustainable with interest and passion. LUGS has lasted 12
years now and from the turn out at yesterday's meeting, it looks like it is going to
have a a lot of increased interest.

Hence, I would like to propose that this effort be orchestrated and run from
LUGS and primarily by those of you who want to make it happen. That way,
we can all be pulling the train in the right direction as a collective group instead
of disparate groups. Strength in numbers, as it were.

Comments please.

Harish
A former member
Post #: 1
Yea...I support that!
A name that i came up with is
OSS(S)-Open Source Society(Singapore)
Maybe we could also collaborate with other open source groups around the world to setup a worldwide recognized society? And then we could merge LUGS and the other OSS groups,including Linux,all under one umbrella.
A former member
Post #: 2
Hi Tom

Sure. Count me in too.

POSSe - Promotion of Open Source Software for Everyone/Enterprise

I thought there was another working on the same ideas... SOSA mooted by Resolvo Systems and backed by several other corporate biggies

http://www.idg.com.sg...­

Cheers
Francis Kwang
Ah...did not see that one...as I had said earlier,all goes the same except that we add SOSA as a sponser group?
A former member
Post #: 3
Hey,Harish,I want to get a membership at LUGS,I email the commitee abt that,some guy named Ng Hak Beng said that he would email me the app. form but has yet to send it over.So do me a favour and send it to me via email to shawn.....93[at]gmail.com(just have 1 dot).BTW i am going for te Student membership.
A former member
Post #: 6
Hi,
Add on me too.

Sam
A former member
Post #: 11
You can sign up to LUGS at http://www.lugs.org.s...­
A former member
Post #: 1
I hope that this org also helps to get the common man understand what is open source. the prelim stages of this "org" should be abt creating awareness of alternative sources of technology ie. anything but m$

hmm... that said... why don't we call it... ABM! - Anything But Microsoft!
victor tan(used2b ...
tiger40490
Singapore, SG
Post #: 25
For your info, http://www.possepdx.c...­ says

About POSSE
Portland Open Source Software Entrepreneurs (POSSE) is a local organization of entrepreneurs who rely on and develop OSS to help businesses succeed.

Hope this helps.
Victor
Tom G.
tomgohj
Group Organizer
Singapore, SG
Post #: 45
damn, so much for my original idea!!!. Tho international POSSE's sound like a good thing to build.

For your info, http://www.possepdx.c...­ says

About POSSE
Portland Open Source Software Entrepreneurs (POSSE) is a local organization of entrepreneurs who rely on and develop OSS to help businesses succeed.

Hope this helps.
Victor