The Singapore Linux Meetup Group Message Board › ISO accepts OOXML

ISO accepts OOXML

Rohan
user 4440384
Singapore, SG
Post #: 1
This is a bit of a surprise, after ISO accepts OOXML as ISO standard......though i dont have any technical experience to comment much about why OOXML shouldnt be ISO, but after reading a few forums and articles in oct last year It look as if ISO wont succumb to MS tactics which always screws up when it comes to interoperability, so can we trust MS statement that it would release information for others to take advantage and make competition fair.......but when was the last time it did so.....

My question is how MS through its partnership, wins. I read an article where India voted against but big IT Giants Like TCS,Infosys,Wipro and many more had to vote yes because they are partners with MS, so is it a fair assessment or is it something to do with partnerships, and which way is the dollar flowing.

Its a disappointing how money can change things and how can anyone stop MS from gaining control.

http://infotech.india...­
A former member
Post #: 1
I am totally disgusted after reading Harish Pillay's blog, and saw those PDF files showing letter of support of OOXML from local Singapore companies. All letters are similar word by word except the company's name, address, and signatory... Gee.. And quite a number of these companies are MS resellers/ partners... Guess someone just send out a template to all the re-sellers and ask them to sign.
kit
kit-sg
Singapore, SG
Post #: 3
ISO sounds like an old bureaucratic organisation. Wherever you have centralised power, you're going to have politics.

I haven't been following the OOXML story closely, but we'll just have to watch it play out. If it turns out to be a bad decision, the ISO's reputation will take a hit and we'll see how things change, or don't change, from there. Possibly less influence, mind share, for the ISO. Then again, organisations like the UN don't seem to have been hurt by their lousy track record, but let's not get into real politics.

In the end, the IT industry will deserve what it gets. If enough people, enough money, want closed or pseudo-open systems, that's what they will get. While Linux people care a lot about really open systems, not everyone does. Just look at Apple: Mac, iphone, itunes. Not just popular and successful, but strangely free of the negative reputation that Microsoft has.