Shut Up & Write! NYC Message Board › Where do you Write?

Where do you Write?

A former member
Post #: 6
Hello and thank you for having me,

I am a new writer and was trying to find the ideal place to write for couple of hours everyday.
I do not work and can certainly find the time to do that everyday but every cafe place I was trying to find myself at was either too loud or too crowded.

I went to the new york public library and after one hour could not sit at those harsh wooden chairs and they won't allow you to even drink water there so it is basically fasting for hours.

What is your favorite place to write in NYC, assuming it is NOT at home?

Thank you!
Rachel W.
user 3169174
New York, NY
Post #: 11
In NYC, there are few places to bring your laptop and read, research and write--in peace or around other creative types.

-For quiet writing and reading and studying: New York Society Library on East 79th. Its a subscription library open 7 days a week (5 during the summer). They've great members room for writing, with free wifi, comfortable chairs. The building is a very nice townhouse has an old NY feel. It has a study hall feel--no talking or eating. But you can get a lot done. About $200-250 year. Compared to writers rooms that can range about $50-100 a month, it's a great deal. I would check it out http://nysoclib.org/­

To write and research and perhaps network: Wix Lounge on W. 18th. The lounge is a free co-working space run by Wix.com, website publishing platform providing user friendly tools for building desktop, mobile, and Facebook sites. Free wifi, food & drinks are allowed. It's a very cool atmosphere, lots of freelance writers, bloggers, media people. They're open 10-5 during the week. A Wix.com account is required, but they are free. Check them out!

Good luck!!
Daniella
user 29374402
New York, NY
Post #: 1
I often have troubles finding places to write in this crowded city.

I have found that the best places to write are small cafes or coffee shops. Stay clear of Starbucks and whatnot. Here are some places I love.

Queen Vic in the East Village, I am bias because it is pretty close to my apartment but still. During the day it is pretty empty, only downfall is it does not open till 4. It is a bar, but very low key and you can sit by the window and have a drink or a cup of coffee. I find it very conducive to writing.

Sugar Cafe on Allen st. Cute little cafe/ coffee shop. It is always pretty quiet, they have Wifi if you need it. Everytime I go there I get a lot of writing done, I love it.

Rachel W.
user 3169174
New York, NY
Post #: 13
I love Panera Bread! There are a few in NYC now. I like the one on E. 86th st. It's clean, doesn't smell like burned coffee or alcohol, there are plenty of tables, most have an outlet near them. Reminds me of a student lounge. They have free wifi that works much better than Starbucks. The food is good--I usually eat lunch there, but getting just coffee or a drink is fine. I think they even encourage people to come for book clubs/meetings which can last a while. My one fear is by the end of summer or earlier, people that work at Starbucks & B&N will get wind of this and other locations and they'll crowd up.
A former member
Post #: 45
I usually write at work (I work overnights) and sometimes on the train.