One more thought

From: Darren S.
Sent on: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 7:47 PM

Hey,

I just wanted to mention two more things: first, I am not trying to scare anyone about Saturday's conditions, but I am trying to be realistic. I think it is very important in mountaineering to have realistic, grounded expectations about just what we will be dealing with. So that is my intent.

Secondly, this route is a loop. Just because we go doesn't mean we have to do the whole climb...although I am sure it is not anyone's first choice, we have options. We can always climb the West Ridge, which I know very well and is much shorter. If a person came and didn't have the steam to do the E. Ridge after all, they could always climb Elephants Back instead, or even wait at Winnemucca Lake, which is the location where we will start for the E Ridge and return to after descending the W. Ridge. All is not lost if it turns out to be pretty bad. We have options.

The only caveat is once we start on the East Ridge, we are committed. There is no easy way to get off it. So everyone involved needs to realize that. If we do not feel ready for it with the current conditions, it will not be attempted. We'll just have to go and see. Like I have said a few times, put yourself in a position to be lucky, but not so you have to rely on luck.

If we don't go we'll never know!

Looking forward to a wintry adventure!

- D

 

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy