addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Singapore Vegetarian Meetup Group Message Board › Vegetarians/Vegans - what do you eat for breakfast?

Vegetarians/Vegans - what do you eat for breakfast?

Joe G.
JoeGoh
Singapore, SG
Post #: 8
Hi everyone!

After switching to a vegetarian diet, i've been mostly eating vegetarian bee hoon (at the coffeeshop nearby) for breakfast, with the occasional Milo + bread combo at home. I'm now thinking of buying a breakfast cereal and eating it with cold soy milk instead as I think its a lot healther than vegetarian bee hoon (as sometimes its really oily).

I'm starved for breakfast ideas! To the vegetarians and vegans: what do you eat for breakfast at home?

Looking forward to hearing your ideas!
Joe

[ P.S. No, i've not gone bananas and started talking to myself on this discussion thread. :-) The replies below are copy-pasted from our mailing list archives (when we used to have a mailing list). Meetup.com didn't import the mailing list archives automatically for me, so I had to do this. Hope this explains the weirdness! Please contribute to this discussion thread! What do you eat for breakfast? ]
Joe G.
JoeGoh
Singapore, SG
Post #: 9
Reply from meetup member: NAV

Hi all & Joe,

Now you will get me talking :-). I have been a silent member of this group.
I am a vegetarian since I was 12 years old. My breakfast is a pick and
choose from the following list:

1. Milk (with or without Milo)
1A. Sometimes Milk with cereals.
2. I put Following ingredients in one glass of Milk:Two Dates, 6
overnight soaked/peeled almonds, sometimes some peanuts as well.
3. One small bowl of Sprouts (Mix of Green Lintels, Black Grams, Soyabean)
4. Fruits (Banana, Apple, Plums,etc)
5. Two slices of roasted toasts with butter/margarine/che ese
6. Sometimes Potato masala sandwich (depending upon if we have maid at home)
7. Handful of walnuts (good for heart)
8. Sometimes Sweet Porridge with seasonings (almond, raisins,coconut,etc)
8. SUNDAYS (Indulgence)- Indian Homemade Potato masala parantha with
Indian Curd and Butter (again depending on maid)

So this is it :-)

cheers
nav
Joe G.
JoeGoh
Singapore, SG
Post #: 10
Thanks for sharing Nav! A few follow-up questions for you... (please
continue reading).

> 2. I put Following ingredients in one glass of Milk:Two Dates, 6
> overnight soaked/peeled almonds, sometimes some peanuts as well.

I don't quite understand how this "works". Do you crush the almonds
and peanuts? Or are they just plopped into the milk whole? Do you
drink the milk then eat the nuts and dates at the bottom?

> 6. Sometimes Potato masala sandwich
> 8. SUNDAYS (Indulgence)- Indian Homemade Potato masala parantha with
> Indian Curd and Butter (again depending on maid)

Woah, those sound delicious! Is it time consuming to prepare? If
not, it'll be great if you could share the recipes with the all of us.
:-)

Cheers,
Joe
Joe G.
JoeGoh
Singapore, SG
Post #: 11
Reply from meetup member: NAV

Hi Joe,
Normally almonds have to be crushed mildly and dates have to broken in
small pieces also (peanuts can go as a whole - but i don't use them
much). Infact I sometimes add banana (cut into small pieces) to the
whole mixture. Then you can use a small spoon to stir while you drink.
so with the help of spoon you can keep eating the ingredients as you
drink and it is very less of the nuts and dates which remains in the
end.
hope this helps.
recipe for paranthas, maybe some other time (acually i don't make them
but know how to make)
thanks
nav
Joe G.
JoeGoh
Singapore, SG
Post #: 12
Reply from meetup member: Mingy

Hello everyone!
I am not vegetarian and neither is my family so we have many choices for breakfast. However, here is one which i like to savour from time to time: it's easy to prepare and doesn't take much time consuming too.
honey+banana+milk
Crush the banana first as it'll be quite messy crushing it after you have added milk. For best texture, do use a table spoon and crush the banana till you get bits finer than crumbs. Then add milk + honey and stir well. Best with chilled milk. I like it. :) You can try banana with white flesh or yellow flesh but the best taste comes with using Del Monte banana because it's simply sweet with no tinge of sourness. The other two can be a little sour.
Joe G.
JoeGoh
Singapore, SG
Post #: 13
Reply from meetup member: Qiao

Hi,

I just turned lacto-ovo a month ago. [ Ed: this email was sent on Feb 21, 2008 ]

Breakfast choices:

1) one of the easiest: buy a value pack cereal + fortified soy milk (fortified usually recommended in books)
I now go for unsweetend or reduced sugar versions cos the normal type by NTUC is super sweet

2) typical chinese asian breakfast foods: peanut porridge, yam cake, chee cheong fun (plain or with mushroom stuffings), bee hoon with veggies + egg, (even carrot cake is ok if you are lacto-ovo, vegan cannot eat this)

3) Indian stores are very gd if u dun want to prepare breakfast (so I usually do this on wkend when not in rush)
eat their vegetarian options---they usually list vegetarian versions of thosai and pratas etc, masala thosai with their potato stuffings is delicious and filling :)

Yes, I will also welcome better new ideas....my mum wonders aloud what she can feed me :p
A former member
Post #: 2
Hi,

I am new to this meetup. Am from Malaysia but will visit Singapore soon. I have been a vegetarian since 20 years old. Strict vegetarian as in i do not take meat. So, in the morning, what i normally take for breakfast is the organic cereal (which can be obtained from vegetarian shops). I also take enzymes and G3 a health product from Nu Skin. These are nutritional products good for health as vegetarians. Sometimes, i also take vegetarian burger in the morning.....

My mom used to cook all those delicious vegetarian food for me in the morning.

There are plenty of vegetarian foods out there......so not to worry!!! Go vegetarian!! Don't worry about your friends who makes fun of your love for vegetarianism......

Cheers