Single Parents - Divorced Adults Group Message Board › New and wanting to ease my way into the group

New and wanting to ease my way into the group

Tammy
user 19782821
Verona, WI
Post #: 1
I looked on the calendar to see when the monthly meetings are as it was suggested this would be a good way to start. I did see lots of activities, which is awesome, but didn't see a monthly meeting. Would someone be able to provide more information? Thanks so much, and looking forward to meeting the group - Tammy
Optimistic C.
OptimisticChris
Madison, WI
Post #: 122
Hey Tammy,

Welcome to SP-DA... the best thing since sliced bread!

Here's my two cent's worth...
I usually don't encourage new folks to join us for loud music Meetups... it's just too loud and difficult to meet, chat and connect with folks. It is a much better experience, for everyone, if conversation is the main element... that being said, I looked at the proposed Meetups on the calendar and my suggestion would be the VO5 meetup on the 28th. Although it is music... there should be lots of opportunity to find a quieter place away from the speakers to meet folks. Unless... you have your dancing shoes on because I know this group, and there will be many shakin' it!
We also may be able to persuade some folks to be there much earlier to "pre-party"! Anyone...???

My other advice for new comers is... don't sit down! Stay on your feet (if the Meetup lends itself to that)... it's much easier to meet folks if you are standing AND it allows you the flexibility to walk up to someone/or a group, stick out your hand and say, "Hello, my name is Tammy and this is my first Meetup!" You will be stunned at how "easy" it is to meet folks at these things. This is a great group of people!
Come join us soon.
Best wishes,
OC
Julie V
user 23239811
Madison, WI
Post #: 12
Tammy - Welcome! you'll get to meet a lot of fun people at V05 Atwood, and some of the same people will be at the Vo5 gig on Aug 3 for Dane Dances - this one will offer a better place to chat. Going to two events so close together might help you get to know some members quickly. This group is not one to have a monthly meeting to talk about our situations - frankly I like this group because it is a great distraction, energizing and fun. OC is right, it is a great group of people.
Laura
user 6540411
Group Organizer
Madison, WI
Post #: 191
Hi Tammy, welcome to the group!

Long ago our group did have monthly "support group" meetings. But they were eventually phased out and replaced with monthly "meet and greet" meetings, which members seemed more comfortable with. However, I have to admit that we haven't had one of those in quite a while, either, and I take full responsibility for dropping the ball. I suppose I should either start scheduling them again or remove the reference in our group description...

So, my apologies! But we have a lot of events coming up on our calendar, and like the others before me, I would encourage you to try to make it to one. If you do want to come, contact the event host head of time to ask about how to find the group. The members of our group are so warm and welcoming, the best ever! You are guaranteed to feel at ease immediately. I promise!

We look forward to meeting you soon!

Tammy
user 19782821
Verona, WI
Post #: 2
Thanks for the warm welcome! I will come to a meetup soon - my goal is to get there before school starts. I am not available for the meetup tonight, however, it does sound like a lot of fun. I do look forward to meeting you soon - Tammy