what we are doing
This class will be useful for anyone who is considering moving in with their partner (whether the parties are buying a home together or one party is moving into the other's existing home).
It will provide an overview of the Property (Relationships) Act 1976 and the mechanisms for protecting and sharing property including Contracting Out Agreements ("pre-nups").
what you will learn
We will look at:
* what the default rules under the Act are
* when the equal sharing provisions of the Act kick in
* what qualifies as relationship property (you might be surprised)
* when separate property (including inheritance and property acquired before the relationship) becomes relationship property
* what you need to do to contract out of the Act
* what happens on separation (break up or death)
* other mechanisms for protecting your property
type of class tips & tricks
skill required beginner
your chalkler will be
Christine Batt (Partner) - Tripe Matthews Feist - litigator experienced in dealing with the consequences when adequate protections are not in place.
Gemma Lovell (Solicitor) - Tripe Matthews Feist - solicitor practising in the area of property, relationship property, wills, trusts and estates
what to bring
We require a minimum of 2 people for this class to go ahead.
our cancellation policy
If you RSVP for a class and fail to show up, you will get a "no show". Three no shows means you will be removed from chalkle°. You may request to rejoin after six months.
If you cancel your RSVP:
- less than 3 days before = no refund
- after 7pm the night before = no refund and a "no show" will be recorded
chalkle° connects people interested in teaching and learning from each other face-to-face -- in a fun, social environment!
Choose from many affordable lessons up for grabs (from intros to master classes) in agriculture, art and craft, business, construction, digital media, food, languages, music and performance, science, technology and zombie survival... and many of the lessons are free!