CFI Vancouver (Skeptics & Humanists) Group Message Board › Alternative medicine or snake oil

Alternative medicine or snake oil

Andre P.
user 34489272
Burnaby, BC
Post #: 2
My sister is a big proponent of alternative medicine, she regularly visits a acupuncturist, chiropractor, reads eckharte tolle, believes that overcoming cancer is about "mindset", that you have an aura, etc. The surprising thing is that she is a fitness instructor is fit and eats well, organic foods -- which there is mixed evidence about it's healthfulness. Obviously I trust science and conventional medicine. I try to show her studies about the latest developments in science that might benefit her well being, and as far as I can tell she reads it. But she still wants to convince me that someone can get well simply by thinking themselves, ironically she doesn't believe alternative medicine can cure her of her asthma. I guess the straw that broke the camels back was her suggestion that my best friend who is dying of pancreatic cancer can get better by believing in "eastern thinking" and changing his mindset. I don't know what else I can do, because I have not always been a proponent of science and once believed in some of the things she does. Worse I can't come up with an argument to convince her that her ideas are about as good as believing in the tooth fairy. Some suggestions on how I can convince her that science is the route she should take would be helpful?