Sydney Americans Message Board › Your advice on a potential move to Sydney...

Your advice on a potential move to Sydney...

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello! I'm considering a 6 month move to Sydney for work. I'd love any insight or advice on life in Sydney. How strong is the ex-pat group? Where are the best places to live? How is life different than in the states? Also, what is the winter season like? Thanks for your advice!
A former member
Post #: 15
Hi Melissa, I think no one has responded because there are SOOOOOO many possible answers! The best answer here is: "it depends". Would your company transfer you, including your visa, moving expenses, etc? Where do you live now? Is it only Sydney you are considering? Have you lived or visited overseas before?

Most of the expats live within 10 kilometers of the city. If you live near public transport, and work in the city, you will not need a car. Rentals can be found at domain.com.au

The main language is English, but Australia is still a foreign country. Don't expect everything to be the same way it is in the US. I think of Sydney as New York City (but smaller) transplanted to Los Angeles. Winters are very mild as are the summers (though sometimes over 100 degrees).

Just read as much as you can, and decide if it's for you. Everyone has a different experience. Be sure to turn up to a meetup if you decide to head on Down Under!
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi!

My thoughts are go for it; 6 months goes ridiculously quick (just think how fast your vacations go if/when you travel). I was so apprehensive when we were given the opportunity and so far, this has been such an amazing experience. We moved here from NY and have been here now for 3 months. We have 2 small children so have to consider schools as well, etc. when we got here. We chose the Lower North Shore for close proximity to Sydney CBD and good schools. Depending your lifestyle, there are so many different fun options.

Life is different here, but it's also what you make of it. I try and continue doing the things that remind me of home (yoga, pilates, etc.) and thank goodness for Skype and Facebook - makes the world feel a lot smaller!

Feel free to email me privately if you'd like to chat more about it. You can also check out sites like yanksdownundet.net and usafoods.com for general ideas on the transition to this amazing city....

Good luck!

Cheers,
Kimberly
A former member
Post #: 2
Thanks so much! Great advice. I'm packing and on my way. Any suggestions for the climate March-August? How to pack?

Where are the places I must see when I'm not working? How is public transportation?

I'm so excited!

Melissa
A former member
Post #: 2
Hi Melissa

I was born in Sydney, lived overseas most of my adult life and relocated back to Sydney in 2006. My business is based in the US so I travel to the US regularly... I am in Huntsville Alabama now!!!

Sydney will take some adjusting, depending from where you are coming from in the US. Jules has hit it right when she said it is like NYC transported to casual clothed, free spirited, beachside city, Sydney, kinda like LA but not. People will stop and chat on a bus (was really unnerving for me...), tell you their life story in 30 mins... Sydney is welcoming and fun, BUT you need to be proactive and get out there in it to enjoy it.

Meetup is great and if you have done some Tony Robbins stuff I can connect you to some like minded people.

As for the job... to add any value... what do you do? What are you looking for? Are you in business or self employed or want to be employed?

If I can help in anyway, let me know. I am a member so you will find me easily. Send me an email for contact details.

Have fun... and don't bother bringing a nice NYC winter coat unless you are planning to move to Melbourne or Hobart...
Catherine
A former member
Post #: 3
and if you have a job relocating you for 6 months... GO for it... who knows if you like it you might want to stay... then you have to think of a bigger harder question... how do I get a permanent resident visa!!!
A former member
Post #: 3
Thanks for the great advice! No heavy winter coats. Got it. Anything else I must bring with me? What is the climate March-August?