Come join in the fun as our outdoor hootenannies continue at Mangia Gourmet in Gulfport! Sing, play, order from their sumptuous menu, sip coffee, tea, juice or enjoy a delicious smoothie. Or munch on a snack. All in the open air in beautiful Gulfport, Florida!
We had a blast at the well-attended kick off SOJO in Gulfport on April 19. The plan is to continue to meet at Mangia at the same time, 1:00 to 3:00, but on the fourth Saturday of each month rather than the third.
Please note: In an effort to ensure that all of Mangia's patrons have chairs to sit in, management has asked that we bring folding chairs if possible.
The Gulfport SOJOs are free. We don't ask for a donation, but Mangia, of course, would greatly appreciate it if you take advantage of what they have to offer.
The St Pete SOJO will continue to meet at its usual place and time.
The format in Gulfport is the same as the St Pete SOJOs - Rise Up Singing is our songbook, and we go around the circle and each person picks a song for all of us to sing and play along to. Handouts for other songs for the group are welcome as well. Or you can perform solo if you like.
NOTE: This being an outdoor event, we are dependent on the weather. Watch this site the day before the gathering, as well as the day it occurs, for updates on whether the event will take place as planned.
So, as with the St Pete SOJO, here are the most important points:
1. Please RSVP. RSVPs give us an idea of the best way to set up the space, and more importantly, allow us to ensure the space is not overly crowded.
2. Attendance is set at 20, with an automated waitlist after the first 20 Yes RSVPs. Important: If you RSVP Yes and your plans later change, please update your RSVP accordingly. Click on "Change" above the RSVP section on the right side of the screen.
3. Since we use the Rise Up Singing songbook as the basis for our sing/jam, you'll want to obtain a copy. You can purchase them gently used and reasonably priced on eBay, half.com and amazon.com. There may be a few to borrow as well (one time only please).
We're a friendly group sharing our love of singing and playing, and doing so in a non-judgmental, welcoming environment.
COME CHECK US OUT!
Further details, if you like:
1. SOJO is about singing and playing along to all kinds of music, especially folk. While the emphasis is on singing, your musical instrument is a welcome and valuable accompaniment to the chorus of voices. We warmly welcome harmonicas, ukuleles, mandolins, banjos, dulcimers, fiddles, basses, autoharps, and all acoustic stringed, wind and bellows instruments. Some instrumentalists sing along with us, some just play. All the rest join in the merriment with just their voices.
2. To find out more about our format, click this link: http://www.meetup.com/tampabaysojo/about/. For even more about us: Go to "About Us" in the top left of our website under the group picture. (Some of the information there pertains to the St Pete SOJO, but most of it applies to the Gulfport gatherings, too.)
4. Feel free to take advantage of our very own Discussion Board, where you can talk about music, upcoming events or anything else you think might interest the group. Click on "Discussions" in the banner toward the top of any SOJO website page, then "Message Board." Or take this shortcut:
5. We're also on Facebook! Here's the link: ttps://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/[masked]/
And as usual, we're at your service to answer any questions...or you can post them to our Message Board or Facebook group!