|Sent on:||Monday, October 29, 2012 9:50 AM|
Our group continues to grow and lots of good music and good times are in store for us! So again, a hearty thank you to all of you who helped SOJO get off the ground. We're counting on your continued support so we can become the biggest and best interactive sing along and jam in the greater Tampa area - no, make that Florida!
So check your inhibitions at the door and let's raise the roof together as we sing and play loud and proud! Is there a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon?
Most important points:
1. RSVPs give us an idea of the best way to set up the room. You can RSVP here:
http://www.meetup.com/tampabaysojo/events/85954382/ or the top right of our homepage.
2. Since we use the Rise Up Singing songbook as the basis for our sing/jam, you'll probably want to obtain a copy. You can purchase them gently used and reasonably priced on eBay, half.com and amazon.com. We will also have a few new copies of the latest edition for sale at our cost of $15 (retail $23). Loaners will be available as well.
3. Feel free to bring lyrics to hand out, preferably with chords, for songs not in Rise Up Singing.
4. We ask for a donation, from $3 to $5, or whatever you can afford, to help offset the expenses of our comfortable meeting space. If you can't afford to make a donation, come anyway.
5. You might want to bring something to drink as singing is likely to make you thirsty.
We're a non-judgmental group sharing our love of music, however it expresses through us, in a friendly, welcoming environment. Come check us out!
Further details, if you like:
1. SOJO is about singing and playing along to all kinds of music, especially folk. While the emphasis is on singing, your musical instrument is a welcome and valuable accompaniment to the chorus of voices. We warmly welcome harmonicas, mandolins, banjos, dulcimers, fiddles, basses, autoharps, and all acoustic stringed, wind and bellows instruments. Some instrumentalists sing along with us, some just play. All the rest join in the merriment with just their voices. We even have a piano for anyone to use!
2. We meet the first Sunday of every month from 1:30 to 4:00 just outside of downtown St. Petersburg (exact location shown only to SOJO members).
3. See these links to get an even better idea of what we're about:
More about our format: http://www.meetup.com/tampabaysojo/about/
Even more about us: Go to "Read More About Us" in the top left of our website under the group picture.
Pictures of past SOJOs: http://www.meetup.com/folkSOJO/photos/
4. Feel free to take advantage of our very own Discussion Board, where you can talk about music, upcoming events or anything else you think might interest the group. Click on "Discussions" in the banner toward the top of any SOJO website page, then "Message Board." Or take this shortcut:
5. We're also on Facebook! Here's the link: ttps://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/[masked]/
And as usual, we're at your service to answer any questions...or you can post them to our Message Board or Facebook group!