addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Tampa Bay Vegan & Vegetarian Meetup Group Message Board › Book Club Selection

Book Club Selection

A former member
As I started to prepare to read this book, I came to find that it is both expensive and not yet available at local libraries. I'm generally a fan of things cheap or free, so I think that rather than requiring us to pay over $20 each to read a book, we should probably hold back on that one until it's a little older and pick something different.

One person suggested The China Study, which I know came up at the last Rollin Oats meetup. It's not too expensive and it's at the library.

I have also considered Redemption: The Myth of Pet Overpopulation and the No Kill Revolution In America. I was just talking to Jodi about this, and it seems like it would be a good read going into my new job at an open admission shelter next week. Also, very inexpensive to buy and even at the library.

So, thoughts and opinions are welcome and encouraged. This message will also be on the message board. I will probably push back the book discussion a week or two because of the dilemma.

Thanks,

Sara
amber
asimp333
Plant City, FL
Post #: 113
Redemption has been on my "to read" list for a long while. Im also about to start reading Eating Animals. Id love to see that in the rotation.

i do agree that it would be cool to read books that are available at the library to save money, but that might limit our choices. if you keep the selections to paper backs that are around $12 a piece, that wouldnt be so bad. it would basically being giving up one meal a month to build our home libraries, which is a good thing, and maybe we could make a goal to lend out our books to interested non-veggie friends. maybe?

so is Public Produce still the book for February?

~amber
A former member
Post #: 52
I agree for the most part, but I couldn't find Public Produce for less than $20+. That seemed a little crazy to me. Eating Animals is getting a lot of requests, so we'll probably put it up between Eating Animals and Redemption for the next meeting.

For February, though, we're doing The China Study.
amber
asimp333
Plant City, FL
Post #: 115
yea $20 is a bit much especially if we have to buy books monthly.

I am going to go out and buy a copy of The China Study tomorrow. I did check and it is available at most local library's if anyone wants to join in but not buy the book. :)

and Im going to get both Eating Animals and Redemption, both come highly recommended.

I think the book club is a GREAT idea!