A few words about the Tarrant County Libertarian Meetup. First, this is the spot for 'Big L' Libertarians in Tarrant County. That is, actual Libertarian Party members of the Texas LP or the National LP that reside (and can vote in) Tarrant County. Secondly, this meetup would be thrilled to have any 'Little L' libertarians that are just interested in the message of Liberty. All you Ron Paul voters, that's you. Thirdly, if you're not sure what libertarianism is and you're no longer feeling that either the GOP or Democrats represent your ideals, then come on!
We want to help the citizens of Tarrant County realize that they have a choice. You no longer have to vote for a Big Government, Big Debt, Big Deficit, Big Brother, Big Warfare state - OR a Big Government, Big Taxing, Big Debt, Big Welfare Nanny state. You can actually vote for freedom! Individual LIBERTY! We've been losing our liberties in drips and drabs (and occasionally, make that - rarely, get some back) but if we start pulling together, we CAN influence our lawmakers, judges and executives to give us back our country.
So, What is a Libertarian exactly?
Well, technically somebody who has libertarian ideals believes that individual liberty supersedes that of the state's "right" to govern. In other words, we believe that you 'own yourself' - and as owner, you have the right to do with yourself and your property anything you choose as long as it doesn't interfere with the equal rights of others. That's it in a nutshell. The major tenets of Libertarianism are:
What's going to happen?
- Personal Property - once you get something by legitimate means (that is, you didn't coerce somebody into giving you something) it's yours to do with as you want. You shouldn't have to give it to the taxman, be forced to surrender it to the state due to death taxes, etc.
- Non-Aggression - We Libertarians are a peaceful bunch by nature. We NEVER initiate aggression and only act in self-defense. But speaking of self-defense, if you plan on attacking a Libertarian - be prepared - as we Libertarians are frequently well armed. We're big supporters of the Second Amendment.
- Capitalism -Libertarians believe that the only worthwhile method of 'doing business' is through unfettered capitalism. Trade between two voluntary parties without coercion of any type is the way to go. This doesn't mean that we believe in 'corporate welfare' and handouts to private enterprises... we're against government sponsored welfare of any sort.
- Limited Government. Thomas Paine said it best when he said that the government that governs least governs best. Our government's duties are pretty much set forth in the Constitution. That's it. Read that small document and you got it down. The Bill of Rights are our 'mantra'. Remember the Bill of Rights grant NOTHING, but rather enumerate your Creator-endowed rights (like owning guns and not testifying against yourself) - and prevents the government from encroaching on those rights.
- And Individual Freedom... Like Elvis said "Do what you like as long as it don't hurt no one." Nuff said.
I'm figuring that out as we go along, but we WILL definitely do the following:
- Have some interesting speakers (LP Candidates and other thought provoking folk)
- Try to grow this party in Tarrant County (Why let Dallas and Denton counties have all the fun?)
- Have some fun and fellowship.
- We may have some contests and prizes for bringing most guests, stuff like that.
So come along, JOIN the friggin meetup and have some fun already.