Bay Area Backcountry Buddies Message Board › Spring Back Packing Lost Coast

Spring Back Packing Lost Coast

Fred R.
user 7992128
Palo Alto, CA
Post #: 1
Wish to go, looking for ride from the Palo Alto area (could take the train to convenient location ).

Fred
Justin
user 17988341
Campbell, CA
Post #: 16
Unfortunately, I can't go now.

I am wanting to plan a trip soon so anybody open let me know.

Have fun everyone!!
A former member
Post #: 3
I do not have the coverage at work as of yet still trying....what is the cut off date to notify you by? Thanks! Also I do not have a bear canister anyone willing to share & I carry half the time???
Fred R.
user 7992128
Palo Alto, CA
Post #: 2
Does the Ranger Station rent bear canisters? Are Usack bear bags approved/permitted ?
Fred R.
user 7992128
Palo Alto, CA
From the Rangers: "Ursack bear bags are not approved by the Sierra Interagency Black Bear Group so they are not allowed in the King Range NCA. The King Range office rents the Garcia bear cans for $5.00 per trip. "
A former member
Post #: 8
Here is what I was able to dig from several websites:

1) Campfires - permitted during most of the year except dry season when fire restrictions might be imposed. Right now, there is no any restriction notice on the King District official site, should be assumed it's OK to make a fire. There must be many fire rings existing along the trail. Not a problem.

2) As described, there are no adequate trees to store food with a counterbalance trick, therefore bear canisters are mandatory. There is a whole list of approved brands. IMO, all these silly plastic boxes are too flimsy, I would prefer something metal. Apparently, rangers train bears on smashing brand names, so this is what's required. At the moment, I don't own any.

3) For the route as planned, it would be prudent to have at least one day in reserve, so that an unexpected delay does not automatically create emergency. I would suggest a 4 or 5 nights schedule with a goal to spend extra time exploring around with a day pack or just relaxing.

The way this trip plan develops, I do not feel being well prepared. Will probably wait till next occasion or make my own trip to this area later.

- Alex.
A former member
Post #: 4
looking for update on this trip no posts for a while....you mentioned 4WD may be needed I do not have...would then need to ride with others...I will put in for days off on March 1st if this trip is still on and the ride situation looks promising??? Thanks!
A former member
Post #: 7
I'm down for this trip as well, but I don't have a 4WD either.
Carylynn I could give you a ride up from Marin, but not sure my minivan will make it all the way if its a wet muddy 4wd road.
A former member
This trip looks great! Count me in!

I work in the financial district of SF--is anyone heading to the East Bay from this area that I could catch a ride with?
didjmunkey
user 8071751
Milpitas, CA
Post #: 12
There are quite a few fire rings around and the fire restrictions are usually during the summer. Be mindful of rattlesnakes around the driftwood and especially on the beach north of punta gorda. They were surprisingly close to the water. poison oak on buck creek trail is pretty much unavoidable and it can overtake the trail in some areas, so be sure the pants you're wearing are not what you take to bed. I might be doing a similar trip around this time going the opposite direction, from shelter cove to buck to rattlesnake ridge, big creek and back to shelter cove.