Bay Area Backcountry Buddies Message Board › Angel Island

Angel Island

A former member
Post #: 1
Has anyone ever backpacked Angel Island before? I'm hoping to do it sometime in October and would appreciate any information/tips from people who have been there overnight before. Also for anyone that might be interested in coming it would most likely be three days and two nights during the week because weekend permits are all reserved for the next couple of months in advance.
Giulia
user 9468382
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 8
Do you mean the Angel Island in the Bay?

I have only day hiked there a few times but never backpacked. I believe that the whole route, going around the island and to the top of the hill is about 5-6 miles.

This link might give you some information http://www.everytrail...­
A former member
Post #: 482
We camped out there during Fleet Week. The raccoons and rodents are after your food but it's a nice leisurely trip, and there are boxes to store the food in safely.

Yelling at the raccoons does nothing, hissing at them and pitched rocks helps.

The ferry is about 13/person and you need reservations to camp.
A former member
Post #: 36
If you're going there for more then a day, I would bike / backpack there. There are a lot of bike paths, but really only one hiking trail (to the top).

Stay on the east side, it's a lot less exposed to wind.
Chris
user 14285231
Redwood City, CA
Post #: 1
It's a nice, easy trip. We even took the Bart to the ferry station, so no parking issues!

Pics from my trip. Probably a nice time to go, as the fog should be better now than during "summer".