addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Bay Area Backcountry Buddies Message Board › South Lake- Onion Valley/Shepard (Sept 16-Sept 23rd)

South Lake- Onion Valley/Shepard (Sept 16-Sept 23rd)

Anne
sorcha7
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 5
See entry below for change of plans
Anne
sorcha7
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 6
I don't know how to remove this posting, so I'll simply update it.

Trip: South Lake to Onion Valley/Shepard's Pass

When: Sept 16th- drive up early, pick up permits (plenty are available), drop a car at Onion/Shepard (not yet decided), drive back to South lake, hit the trail
Sept 17th-Sept 23rd: Revel in the beauty that is the Eastern Sierra
Sept 23rd: Out Onion/Shepard and drive back

Length: ~75 miles (so ~11/day with a LOT of elevation change)
** Read: STRENUOUS**

People: So far it is my friend and I. We are pretty hard core backpackers and are looking for 1-2 more to join in if interested. Ideally, you'd have a car to donate to the car shuttle effort. (I have a car but my friend does not).

Other: My friend is contemplating doing an overland route between Dusy-Mt. Sill-trail south. I am not comfortable on Class 3 and so likely will follow the JMT mostly.

Drop me a line if interested!

Anne
Lisa
user 47719802
Monterey, CA
Post #: 2
Anne,

I"m interested in that trip- still looking for folks?. Have you done that route before?

Lisa
Justin
user 17988341
Campbell, CA
Post #: 13
I just did similar route couple months ago. Shepards was the last peak we did. It is beautiful. Coming up Shepards is no joke. Especially if it is hot.
Anne
sorcha7
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 7
Lisa,
I have not done that route before. I've done North Lake to South Lake, so have done Bishop Pass and Dusy Basin.
The plan now is to drive up early on the 16th, pick up a permit (permits are readily available on the 16th but not on the 15th), drive and leave a car at Onion/Shepard's (yet to be determined), car/shuttle back to South Lake and hike in. I am pretty certain that I'll stick to the main trails; my friend hasn't decided on Mt. Sil yet. I need to be back to work on Monday Sept 24th, so that means 6.5 days available to backpack with one long drive back. I sense that we'll maximize our time there.

Anne