Bay Area Backcountry Buddies Message Board › High mileage trip on April 17-21 ?

High mileage trip on April 17-21 ?

burtonator
user 3675277
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 2
Hey guys. I'm new to the group. I'm an expert level ultralight / hammock camper. I've done all of yosemite at this point. A bunch of yellowstone.. and a lot of the Sierra.

Anyone down for a high mileage trip on April 17-21 ?

I'd like to shoot for 10-20 miles per day.

If you're trying to up your level to this mileage I can give advice. It's actually more of an issue of pacing yourself, strategy, and diet. Helps if you have a light pack and are in shape as well.

I'm thinking of Kings Canyon or Sequoia NP area.. just because it's a little warmer and should have less snow.

I was thinking of being a bit ambitious and trying to clear some of the higher passes in the area. Will probably require microspikes just in case as well as snow gaiters.

Things could be frozen up pretty well up there but thaw in the afternoon. If we're post-holing the whole way we can just hike in the morning and evening hours when things start to freeze up again. This is why the microspikes would come in handy.

Thoughts?
Mike
user 31552282
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 27
What route are you thinking? This is basically snow camping, right?