addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Bay Area Backcountry Buddies Message Board › Ultralighters?

Ultralighters?

Sam
_sam
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 2
Any ultralight hikers out there? I cannot wait to do the JMT again this year. Just curious if there are any others out there counting the grams doing 20-30 mile days.
A former member
Post #: 23
At present work schedule only allows for weekend trips, but I try to turn even trips at places like Point Reyes into 20 mile days if possible, by trying various routes. My mileage is dependent pretty much on whether my son is with me or not. I even found a way to get a 15 mile day out of the headlands. What I would like to do, in a couple of weeks, as soon as the snow is reasonably clear is try to do the rae lakes loop in 2 days, I think it is 43 miles. Or find a good 40 mile desolation in and out shuttle. I am a bad ultralighter, I don't geek out on the weight like I should, I basically try to keep the base weight + water and food to less than 10 lbs, and if the weather is nice, water is present, I want to shoot for a grand total less than 8 lbs. At some point I want to try to do something in the right weather conditions where the total weight is less than 5 lbs.

Michael
A former member
Post #: 24
sam,
my trip for this weekend in Emigrant, I will be going ultralight, I can't speak for the other participants, but I was even entertaining notion of going SUL, but I need to check on weather conditions and the like first. The main factor, as well, since this is a new area for me, is to be slightly heavier than maybe normal to account for weather, bugs and the like, but I still should be in that 6-8 lb range.