addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Thinkers' Club Message Board › Sophie's World: first book for the Thinkers' Club

Sophie's World: first book for the Thinkers' Club

Amy
user 8342056
Twinsburg, OH
Post #: 2
Hi guys! So the first book that we will read for the Thinkers' Club is Sophie's World by Jostein Gaardner. A little bit about the book: Sophie's World is a succinct and entertaining introduction to the history of Western philosophy writen as a mystery novel. Sophie is a 14 year old girl who begins receiving strange letters from one Mr. Knag addressed to another girl, Hilde Knag, c/o Sophie. Sophie has never heard of the Knag family, and has no idea why Mr. Knag has entrusted her with the responsiblity of delivering these letters to his daughter. Sophie soon meets Alberto, the philosopher, who through philosophical inquiry helps Sophie to unravel the mystery behind the Knag coorespondance. On a side note, I first read this book when I was 14. It's very accessible, and it's perfect for someone who has no background in philosophy whatsoever. In fact, I've known of at least a couple philosophy professors who have used this as a text book in their introduction to philosophy courses. The book was released in 1991 and is still in print; you should have no problem ordering this book through your library or bookstore.

The question I wanted to pose to all of you is what to read next. I have made a list of 50 books that I have either read or would like to read, but I want to hear from all of you. What topics within philosophy (e.g. bioethics, contemporary aesthetics, ontology, etc.) interest you the most? What types of questions?