addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Anti-Social Social (ASS) Club Message Board › Kinetic Sculpture Race May 2

Kinetic Sculpture Race May 2

A former member
Post #: 92
I just went to a volunteer meeting for this last night.

While I understand the premise of this group is that people are anti-social - a large majority of ASSes I have met face to face to date strike me as somewhat shy, very creative, and in possession of a delightfully ironic and/or deliciously twisted sense of humor.

Engineers and computer people abound. Not that there aren't other professions represented, but...

Anyhow. This event goes down in Baltimore on May 2. They are encouraging volunteers to dress up as ridiculously as personal inclination would permit. There are some volunteers who will interact heavily with the crowd - yet others will work more "behind the scenes".

I will be starting at the Canton Waterfront Park to get any trash picked up so that the place looks spiffy for news cameras - this is where the "Kinetinauts" will make their "water entry" for the aquatic portion of this race challenge.

Then around 9, it's off to the American Visionary Art Museum for the Opening Ceremonies - JUST like the Olympics. (This was stressed emphatically - I can only imagine what could be in store) At 10, the LeMans start takes place and the race is on!

At this point I, in my most creatively decorated Tyvek (?) suit, (a dear compatriot suggested tie-dyed - perfect as I will be seeing the Dead that night in Philly) will set out with the other Mudders of Invention to Patterson Park, to engineer the existence of the sand/mud obstacle portion of this race challenge.

Think "8 cubic yards of dirt - add water - mix to optimal texture" and feel safe in the knowledge that I am a degreed geologist. Everything will be JUST FINE.

The course is 15 miles in all.

This is a call for ALL KAYAKERS/CAPTAINS OF SMALL CRAFT - your help as a Marine Cop down at the Waterfront Park is very essential. The wind and current can take these creations and set them adrift - they may need a tow back on course. In some instances, LOL, a craft will suffer a Failure of Most Epic Proportion, and a "water rescue" may need to ensue. (There is an award for the most auspicious water entry - also for the most epic failure of the day)

BIKERS, ROLLER BLADERS - There is a need for Course Cops. Please have something in which to collect the bribes which you will find coming your way in droves. Your job is to enforce "the rules", such as they are, more or less to suit the situation and your creative whim.

For more info - please check out the site -

Of course there is plenty of room for those who simply wish to spectate. This is one of the weirdest events to snarl traffic in Baltimore's annual calendar - can you really afford to miss it?

8 am - Registration/safety checks commence

8 pm - awards ceremony and bodacious feasting and revelry

In between - one can only begin to imagine.

CALLING ALL ASSES! Your wry and sardonic humor can find great outlet today! Engineers will be jazzed and inspired by the mechanical workings/nonworkings of various vehicles! Set up a blanket in Federal Hill Park and watch from an aloof distance with a smirk or a sneer! There is a place for all at this bizarre feast of creativity and absurdity.

Oh, crap. I have to go to WORK. BYE.
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi there hun,

And god, yes, I do actually say hun in person.. I swear I didn't start it on purpose.. I don't even know how or when it started..

ANYWAY! ... This event sounds absolutely fantastic. And from what you have said about the people you have met that are apart of this group, I'm so glad I joined. Your description is apt for me also.

That said, I LOVE to get involved and volunteering. It's an abesolute blast for me. Since you will be involved, I figured I'd see if you personally will need any help for the part of the event you are working on. I'll also check the website to see if there is anywhere I can channel my enthusiasm for helping out.

Either way, I'll try my best to make it out and drop by the park and say hi. It's always fun meeting new people :D Well... maybe not always.. it IS an *anti*social club after all...

Stephanie Refo
PS - I hope the Dead concert kicks major ass.. I'm sure it will ;)