Anti-Social Social (ASS) Club Message Board › Field Trip to the National Cryptology Museum?

Field Trip to the National Cryptology Museum?

Linda
Linda_G
Bel Air, MD
Post #: 148
OK - admit it - you have passed this exit on the BW Parkway 10+ times and wondered. I have been DYING to go here but of course, with my attention span being on par with that of a gnat, I can't retain the idea long enough to actually find out about it. WELL! I FINALLY went on their site, thinking it would be a great meet up, and - they have FIELD TRIPS.

http://www.nsa.gov/ab...­

Any interest here? Museum is NOT open weekends - but we could easily plan something over the Christmas holiday when people are off anyhow. Maybe sometime between Christmas and New Year's? Which day would work best for the most, and morning or afternoon? I am going to call them tomorrow to see what they have available that week. Finally - they have guided tours usually 1-2 hours in length, or they have an activity which takes about 3 hours they've developed for kids 9-16 which takes about 3 hours which is more hands on - description below. I would happily go either way although of course the activity sounds great to me, but what would you expect from someone who works around 800 teenagers on a daily basis....

Guided Tour: Recommended for ages 15 and older (grades 10-college). Young adults receive a guided tour of the museum given by museum staff or volunteer docents. The tour covers cryptologic history and its role in American/world history. Exhibits include: Civil War, WWI, WWII (including the German Enigma, Pacific War and Native American Codetalkers), Cold War, Korean War, Vietnam War, development of computers and American Information Assurance programs. Special emphasis can be placed on any of these areas upon request.

Program Length: 1-2 hours (teacher's discretion)
Class size: 6-40: (30 or fewer is recommended)

Home Schools and Small Groups: Who, What, When and Where: Designed specifically for home schoolers ages 9-16, but available to other small groups as well, this program has students search the museum looking for specific exhibits. They then determine the "who, what, when, and where" regarding each artifact, person, or event. In the museum classroom, students, or teams of students, will try to answer specific questions posed by the staff about their exhibits. More detailed information is expected from older students, while only the basics are required from the younger children. The staff will provide additional historical information on each. Set up in a game show format, small

Program length: Approximately 3 hours
Class size: 6-15
cyberfool
cyberfool
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 13
This is either a riddle, an enigma or in code. I'm so confused!