addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Grove Message Board › Story Lab #3 @ The Grove

Story Lab #3 @ The Grove

A former member
Hello Story Lab,

I hope you are having a great week and are making progress on the controlling idea for the story you want to tell with your life. Our formula ( Value + cause = controlling idea ) is a work in discovery and exploration.

Values are universal qualities of human existence that can change from positive to negative, or negative to positive, from one moment to the next. Ex. Truth, freedom, justice...

Cause is the way in which the value changes state, the 'Cause' that brings the change of your value.

This week I had the opportunity to work with one of our story lab participants on their controlling idea, and this was our first stab at it. This will continue to shift and change until they find what fit's.

Example:

Freedom is obtained when cycles of Oppression are broken in minority communities.

Freedom is the value, and braking cycles of oppression is the cause that shifts the value in the story.

I wanted to share this as an example of how to begin to nail down your controlling idea. You will need to commit to your story in order to obtain your object of desire.

I want to encourage you to visit the meet up page at this link http://www.meetup.com...­ and click on the "I'm Going Button" this will then allow those who will be attending to communicate with each other and dialogue around the exercise of writing your controlling idea. Please do this today.

Living a compelling story takes courage and risk. Don't feel alone in this process and let's help one another drive towards authoring our story. Thank you for allowing me to journey with you as your vision becomes clear and compelling.

Grateful to steward this process,

Ken Janke