The H.U.R.D. Casting Network - Helping yoU Reach Dreams Message Board › Grip training program: IATSE & Cityof NO 'Job 1'

Grip training program: IATSE & Cityof NO 'Job 1'

A former member
Post #: 4
At the last meetup I mentioned that I was pursueing this training program... well, I was accepted. (Rah! cool )
This seems like the best legal thing I can think of, at least for myself.

1) Training is paid for by the city

2) You are given employment upon completion of the 4wk class (8hr class days / 5 days a week)

3) Starting pay is sick: $20.63/hr with time and a half overtime, double for late shoots, premium for out-of-town
productions, 1 hour provided meals

4) The class is taught by members of http://www.iatse478.o...­ who will inform you on becoming unionized (which
has bennies all its own; and can't hurt when you apply for union membership)

5) A job like this puts me in the solar system of where I want to be; then I figure I can be on the pulse of upcoming
events and be well positioned for moving closer to my goals

6) There's always the Harrison Ford / John Wayne factor... if anything you might be tossed in the background to fill in
a scene (something a DP friend of mine says happens more often on Indies, butcha never know -you know?)

As I understand I will be trained in a class totaling 30 students at the CAC starting Weds, Aug 17th (considering they just released the notice for this on 8/5 it seems they are ready to really push through this). We will train 15 per class, two weeks on grip then flip-flop for two on electrician.

Another class will be held shortly after this one is complete. I HIGHLY RECOMMMEND TO CONTACT 'JOB 1' IN ABOUT 3.5 WKS TO PURSUE THE NEXT ROUND IF INTERESTED @ 636-0300.

Other classes are in the works (for the indeterminate future) for WARDROBE, SCENE DESIGN, MAKEUP which will pay the same.

The Process (as experienced by moi)

1) Notice released 8/5 on lafilm.org (also announced on the news)

2) Initial application @ Job 1 on the WBank on 8/9 - About 200 + people showed up.
I showed up at 8:45... was seen at about 12
Fill out basic application including previous job exp
Brief address by member of IATSE clarifying what work entails, then a Q&A follow-up
(Mainly the address was to say this is an 8hr job if you're lucky... think more of 12 - 14hrs a day
6 days a week, humping a project anywhere from three weeks to three months, followed by inactive
spells ranging from 2 weeks to 2 months on the outside - so schedule your $ well- The jobs of an
electrician and grip he summed up as: electricians light the scene brighter than the sun, then the
grips come in and take it down until the DP and director are happy.

3) It is a hustle and wait job

4) About 60% of the people I imagined could be discounted right away. These were 40+ year old contractors who
thought 'electrician' in the terms of wiring a house; women (no offense, just a fact - unless you have related
experience you probably will not be called in for an interview -- no, not fair : but remember the business we're
setting ourselves up to be abused in... the IATSE rep admitted that grip/electrician is typically a male-dominated
part of production, just as wardrobe / scene design / makeup are female dominated), and a mix of clueless
/ aged people who thought the you get paid during training / people who already had a nine-to-five saying "I hope
this doesn't interfere with my schedule / etc... I do not mean to be rude, but they are looking for able-bodied people
with production exprerience they can abuse without thought; I don't think I would have been interviewed without
my BA in Drama/Communications and related theatre experience in production.

5) Personality profile presenting you with an activity to wit you indicate your preference:
(ex. "I would enjoy being a museum curator" Like / Unsure / Dislike
"I would enjoy rehabilitating paraplegics" L / U / D ...etc ...etc ...etc

6) Rudmentary readin' / 'riting / 'rtithmetic testing like standardized tests in high school

7) Contacted Weds to be interviewed 8/12 in CBD

8) Interviewed by member of IATSE and representative of Job1
("How would you handle a stressful situation?"
"How do you work with others?"
"Relate similar experience in labor-intesive situations."
"How would you handle the periods of hustle and wait on the set?"
"How would you handle the periods in which no work is available?"
"Explain any experience similiar to production / film work."
...and a few others I don't recall; they jot down some kind of 'score' based on your answer next to the Q's on their
sheets.

Then they have you lift a coil of cording that probably weighs about 50 - 60lbs and sling it on your shoulder (from
the KNEES, people wink )

9) I was contacted that same afternoon, being notified that I got in the class.

And that's it (so far).

Best to all.
-RR
Judy C.
jclymens
New Orleans, LA
Post #: 2
Congrats to you!! Keep us posted.
A former member
Post #: 2
Interesting. Thanks for the updates.

And see you on the set.