DFW Theology & Apologetics Meetup Message Board › Single definition

Single definition

David B.
spadesking
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 59
In another group a message was sent out emphasizing the group was supposed to be for singles and not everyone attending the events was single. Many attending the events in fact were not single and had boyfriends/girlfriends.

At work a female coworker in response to something I said joking responded, I see now why you are single. My response was that she was as single as I was. She insisted she was NOT single. Why? Because she had a boyfriend with whom she occasionally went out with and occasionally slept over. Now I certainly do not think that makes her married. But does it make her not single? What bothered me most about that is she frequently talks about going to church regularly and thus was representing to all our coworkers that this was appropriate christian way of life.

That brings up some questions: What exactly does it mean to be single? Should our definition as christians be any different from how the world defines it?