addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Ian D.
user 65535792
West Chester, PA
Post #: 1
Campfire cooking "class." we all get together, make a large fire with a bunch of grilles and learn some new camp food recipes. Anyone with experience cooking over a fire would be encouraged to lend advice to newbies.

Ridley Creek State Park. The trails here are really mild, there's no summit, but it's free and absolutely beautiful. Very fun in the snow, a bit more difficult though!
!google maps link!

St. Peters Village. One of my favorite places to go, definitely a summer destination though. Swimming in French Creek (which runs along side the town) is fun, though scrambling around the boulders that have fallen into the creek is my favorite. You can also go hiking waaay back into the woods, though as far as I know there are no blazed trails and there are no maps, so a compass is a must. This is another freebie!
!google maps link!

Canoeing on the Brandywine. I like canoeing here, if it hasn't rained in a while, there are fairly large rocky beaches you can pull your canoes off and cook some food! The river is usually calm enough to paddle upstream in the morning and drift downstream on your way back.
!google maps link!
Matt D.
user 13424025
Bethlehem, PA
Post #: 4
All great ideas!

I especially like the campfire cooking idea. Something like a campfire potluck. Do you have anywhere in mind? I know of a couple of spots locally on the AT that would be great for something like this and it gives people the option of camping out for the night if they wish as well as not being too far from the trailhead (less then a mile) if heavy cooking gear or food is involved. State Parks or private campgrounds would be another option too - a lot have rules and regulations we'd have to keep in mind though. If you need any help with this, let me know!
Ian D.
user 65535792
West Chester, PA
Post #: 2
Honestly, I had half a mind to do it in someone's backyard. Though, I do know that Ridley Creek has free to use campfire pits if hanging out in someone's back yard isn't extreme enough. :b

Also, night time snow hiking during a full moon; very eerie, but very fun.
Andrew N.
Richmond, VA
Post #: 31
Tinicum park is nice around this time. I've done multiple pig roasts there (def not going that big!) but it's a normal open easy place to camp.

Tyler State Park also has an open large firepit on a circle of stone under a pavilion. Along with some hilly hiking.

Night time snow hiking sounds great. (If anyone has never done you warm right up, it's really fine.)