addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Triangle Indie Film Meetup Group Message Board › Best "chick flicks"

Best "chick flicks"

David
DavidSpalding
Durham, NC
Post #: 64
As Brian­ posted ­here:

We may need a separate "Greatest Chick Flicks of All Time" discussion as a subset of this one. But then would guys be allowed to comment?

And Jen­ picked up the challenge:

Ok, I'll give 'Chick Flicks' a go...and, yeah, Brian, you fellows can "play along"...after all, you're oft'times dragged to them...kicking...screaming... wink In no particular order...

1) Thelma and Louise
2) Four Weddings and a Funeral
3) Sleepless in Seattle/An Affair to Remember
4) Steel Magnolias
5) Always
6) City of Angels
7) Beaches
8) The Way We Were
9) Notting Hill
10) Chasing Amy (highly under-rated film) cool

Alrighty, your shot... tongue

I don't kick and scream, Jen, I just squirm uncomfortably in my seat when the film favors demographic appeal over universal filmic zest.

But I'm still not even sure of the critieria for "chick flick." (Molly Haskell might, though.) There's Meg and Rosie sobbing their hearts out in Sleepless in Seattle at Cary and Deborah in An Affair to Remember, is that chick flick ecstasy? How about Trevor Howard and Celia Johnson in Noel Coward and David Lean's Brief Encounter? Speaking of Howard, is Leslie Howard's Pygmalion­ a chick flick? Or the musical remake, My Fair Lady? Has Casablanca­ got the right stuff?

Enlighten us, ladies.
David
DavidSpalding
Durham, NC
Post #: 65
P.S. I have to admit that I loved Always the first time I saw it, and have ever since. Well, John Goodman, Holly Hunter (reciting shopping lists in her sleep) and Richard Dreyfus would be enough, but then add Audrey Hepburn coming out of retirement for a small part. And beautiful old planes, including a PBY-5A Catalina.

Was that a chick flick? The original Spencer Tracy version, A Guy Named Joe might've been. I thought Always was a buddy flick, with even Holly playing a macho gal who "was one of the boys" except when she put on that birthday dress.

Allison mentioned Crossing Delancey ... another fav, and no mistaking Joan Micklin Silver's film as a "chick flick."
Brian
000brian000
Chapel Hill, NC
Post #: 102
Sophie's Choice springs immediately to mind.

How about a sub-list of tough guys starring in chick flicks...

• The Prince of Tides
  • What Women Want
  • The Bridges of Madison County
  • As Good As It Gets

A former member
Post #: 6
Okay, here are mine (no particular order), many of which have made appearances in my responses to other posts:

1. Dirty Dancing
2. Crossing Delancey
3. The Way We Were
5. Assorted versions of Pride and Prejudice
6. 9 to 5 (a chick flick of the "girl power" variety)
7. While You Were Sleeping (something about this movie sucks me in and won't let me go whenever I come across it on cable - it's like TBS's own version of crack cocaine)
8. Father of the Bride (I especially liked the Steve Martin version)
9. You've Got Mail (which I much preferred to Sleepless In Seattle)
10. When Harry Met Sally (though I contend this one rises above the "chick flick" label)

AND, my slightly guilty pleasure chick flicks:

11. A Walk to Remember (Yeah, go ahead, kick me out of the "indie" group now, but you try and watch this "girl changes boy's life then succumbs to Ali McGraw disease" film and not cry.)
12. And, a 2006 entry, which I should probably go back and add to my list of favorite films from 2006 - The Lake House. I admit it, I liked The Lake House. A lot. I'm a pretty logical person, so I'm shocked by how much I liked this admittedly illogical film. But it's beautiful to look at, and it's surprisingly well-acted for a Keanu movie. I'll keep on defending it.
Brian
000brian000
Chapel Hill, NC
Post #: 111
Volver is a tremendous "chick flick" but for some reason it seems to be attracting a mostly male audience.
wink
A former member
Post #: 9
Volver, eh...? [adding it to my growing 'Chick Flick Recommendations' list wink]

Ok, here's a few more...

Boys on the Side...ok, ok, another soundtrack-driven flick!

Reality Bites!...ditto on the ^^soundtrack note!^^

Shakespeare in Love

Breakfast at Tiffany's

One True Thing...now we're talkin' 'bout a sob-your-heart-out fest of the obnoxious variety!

Speaking of Streep^, yes, indeed, Bridges of Madison County makes the list...and another nice soundtrack!

Casablanca...oooh, that's just classic cinema. Period. smile Same with My Fair Lady. No 'gender-specifications' necessary.
David
DavidSpalding
Durham, NC
Post #: 72
More remembered films....

Anyone remember The Thing Called Love with an underrated actress named Samantha Mathis and an up and coming unknown named, um, Sandra Bullock? Does that count?

Dan Curtis (yes, Dark Shadows Curtis) made a really neat television film of a Jack Finney (yes, Invasion of the Body Snatchers Finney) story with Campbell Scott and Jennifer Jason Leigh called The Love Letter. Arguably a CF, but I really liked its suspension of disbelief in the interest of romance. And a halfway-plausible ending. I dare you to Netflix it, guys. C'mon, it's a ghost story.

Oh, if we're going to dip into time travel, enter one Richard Matheson with a little tale called Bid Time Return, filmed in syrupy sweet tones with Chris Reeve and Jane Seymour as Somewhere in Time. I liked the novel, but the film is industrial strength CF.

Have we mentioned any foreign films yet? A Room With a View, A Nos Amours, Belle du Jour, Far From the Madding Crowd (or The Go-Between), Amelie, Shirley Valentine, Get Out Your Handkerchiefs, Experience Preferred...But Not Essential, Dangerous Beauty, Cousin Cousine,....