addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Ubuntu Vancouver. Fun, Parties, Real Friends! Message Board How I Came to Ubuntu (and Ubuntu Vancouver) › It all started with living in Vancouver...

It all started with living in Vancouver...

Closed to new replies

West Vancouver, BC
Post #: 5
...thus meaning being far, far away from my family back in old Europe. So here I am, with both children and parents who are hundreds of miles away from each other, meaning the only option for them to connect on a daily basis is the web: e-mail for pictures, stories and Skype for video calls. Not very efficient and sometimes very frustrating, to say the least.

Then came the idea of creating a website dedicated to the family, a platform complete with full media capabilities, and forums and easy to use for all. After some research, I decided to go ahead with the DRUPAL CMS because it is modular and heavily adjustable to my needs, open-source, free, seemingly well documented and backed up by a large community of avid and knowledgeable users.

I was still using Windoze at the time, so I started from there. However, I soon discovered that Drupal was mostly aimed at and developed for a Linux platform. I had no idea which distribution to choose, so I did my research and decided to go ahead with Ubuntu for the same reasons I had initially chosen Drupal for: open-source, heavily documented and with a large community of happy users, willing to share their knowledge and to help newbies. It was even better when I discovered there was a LoCo in Vancouver, since I was somewhat new to Linux.

I did a heavy share of reading -actually, I still do everyday (I had to learn html, psp, css, Linux commands and Drupal operations all together... while working full time and taking care of my family... nights shortened dramatically), but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I might not see it yet, but I know it is here, and thanks to the Ubuntu LoCo, I now have torch lights and flashlights relays to help me out in case of severe doubt or problem (about everyday).

Now, I see no reasons to go back to Windoze, ever. And I have started helping to spread the good news: Ubuntu is here! To stay.