Wanna talk Ukulele? Message Board › Your Ukulele beginning.

Your Ukulele beginning.

Ian At W.
Ian-At-War
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 1
My Wife (Now Ex) Got me a $50 gift Card for a music store for my birthday a few years back. After browsing for what seemed an eternity, my eyes fell on a primary red colored Ukulele. Something clicked there and then, and I knew I found what I sought.

For a year I neglected my guitar to explore this small strange new friend of mine, and loved every second of it. Being the only individual who played one in my social circle, it was quite the novelty when broke it out at parties and gatherings.

Sadly, it was lost and I have yet to replace it.

What was your Ukulele beginning?
Steph
user 67892702
Toronto, ON
I talked forever about getting one, I have picked up more then my fair share of instruments in my day but none of them stuck past that beginner stage.

I was in a small music shop getting strings for my guitar when a green beauty caught my eye. I talked to the sales guy and he said it was really just a toy, if i was serious I had better upgrade. He pointed me towards my mahalo and within half an hour I was home youtubeing everything I could find to become a uke master!

It's slow going because like you, I'm the only one of my friends who has one so I'm picking up what I can but I'm really looking forward to meeting more people who can help me get better.
A former member
I always really loved playing guitar but due to a severe case of baby hands, I always struggled with even the most basic barre chords. One day, I was browsing around online for 3/4 size guitars but found they were kind of pricey and as a poor working girl I was not having it. In my quest to play some kind of smaller stringed instrument, I realized ukulele's existed (I ruled out mandolins and banjos because I didn't want my fingertips to be constantly bleeding :P). I told my mom I wanted one and grabbed it for me for Christmas a couple of years ago (surprise!). Kind of the lazy man's beginning but now I can play B major chords all day without fear of getting my hand frozen in a weird claw position!
A former member
Hi. I Iive in Mississauga and was looking for maybe two or three others to meet and jam with once a week . Don't like travelling downtown Toronto either. Is anyone else in the area interested? My apartment is too small to have at my place so would also be looking for space to play. If any other ukers are interested, please let me know. Thanks.