Dallas Unity Group Message Board › Advice on version control for remote teams

Advice on version control for remote teams

robert m.
user 71649772
Dallas, TX
Post #: 1
I am starting a Unity game, and I have a lot of remote developers. I obviously want to do some sort of version control to make things easier for everyone. I'm not sure what solutions are best, but it looks like these may be the best options:

github
PlasticSCM
Unity Asset Server

Does anyone have experience using these?

Also, if you're a developer or designer looking for work, let me know. Incephalon@gmail.com

Thanks!!
Adam H.
adamhill
Plano, TX
Post #: 2
Your enemy in all 3 will be binary files. They are big and you dont care about versioning. For text, all 3 will be fine.

UAS does versioning and has a Cache server in front of it so Unity does not have to rebuild platform specific things (like bitmaps and sounds each time you switch build types) it just requests the latest Cached version of the asset for your specific target. Its is an addon to Unity Pro and you have a license for each dev.

Githib is the default standard for many programmers, it does deal with binary files, except just as blobs. If your devs dont already know it Git, they can get the most help and find the most learning resources for the tool. It also supports Issues and Pull Requests you can use for features and Wiki for team communication/documentation. You will run it for version control outside of Unity (command line or there are a few GUI tools to choose from)

Plastic is the newcomer. It is a very good stand alone tool, support binary files and has awesome C# merge capabilities. It has a UAS style plugin or you can run it stand alone. I have used it standalone and it is great. I have not used the standalone capabilities.

All 3 have trials available, I suggest you take a project like Angry Bots, check it into all 3 tools, delete the version on your machine, checkout the project from one of the VCS's and see how two people working on the same scene and getting an artist's new textures and a AE's new sounds into the scene will be.

(Hey that sounds like an awesome outside project shootout someone should do!)

Just remember that remote teams are hard and dont blame the technology unless absolutely necessary.