Gardening Meetup Group Message Board › Seed Starting

Seed Starting

Organic Gardening ...
user 8829355
Salt Lake City, UT
Post #: 2
Thanks to all of you who came to our first Meetup, the Seed Starting Class. It was fun to meet you all and 'get out hands dirty'. I always enjoy getting those first seeds in - it's so exciting.

I'm looking forward to hearing how your seeds are doing. Please share here on the Message Board when those first little sprouts start poking their heads out of the soil.

And of course, please feel free to ask any questions that come up, or share comments you might have.

Happy growing,

Gwyneth
A former member
Post #: 1
Gwyneth

Do we have any dates set up for for any work at the gardens? When can I find out what plot I can get? Who do I pay? I owe for the plot and the seed start meeting.

Does anyone have a personal schedule of dates of when they started seeds and if those date where early, late or just right?

I was down at the gardens on Thur. 2-19 and there was some people looking at the little house. Is that the casto house? They where looking at the foundation of the house and at the area from the house to the road. It looked to me like they where talking about moving the house.

Just to let you know I have a pick up and a small open trailer we can use for getting compost or trees.

Mark
A former member
Hey Mark,

Just wanted to let you know my schedule for starting plants in and out of the garden during the early season.....

Early Season Plants

Last weekend (Feb 14) I started several varieties of lettuce in a flat for individual plants (head lettuce - mostly romaine and bibb types) with hopes to plant in the garden mid-March.
Yesterday (Feb 20), I planted my first planting of arugula and a lettuce blend in my cold frame at the garden (1/4 of the cold frame).
I will make three more, small, successive plantings of a variety of greens in the cold frame until about mid-march.
Around mid-march, I will continue the successive planting of lettuce, chard, kale, some asian greens directly into the garden, as well as transplant my lettuce starts and plant some peas.

Eggplant, Peppers, Tomatoes

Eggplants should be started earliest, around 10-12 weeks before last frost, so I will try to get some started this coming week.
Peppers are more in the 8 weeks range, so sometime around mid-march.
I am planning on buying my tomatoes this year, but I usually start mine 8-10 weeks before last frost (early to mid-march).

The reason I don’t start tomatoes, but do start eggplant and peppers is all about varieties. I can usually find plenty of interesting, heirloom tomato plant varieties around town, but I can never find the varieties of eggplant and peppers I like to grow.

Hope that helps. I would love to hear from others about their early season plans as well!

Jon

Assuming last frost in May 15:

April 3 (6 weeks)
March 20 (8 weeks)
March 6 (10 weeks)
February 20 (12 weeks)
A former member
Post #: 2
Jon

Thanks for the info. I have done lots of gardening over the years but this is the first at starting seeds early indoors. In the past I have only planted straight in the ground. What do you use for fertilizer for the seedlings?

Mark
A former member
Where do you find the heirloom tomatoes around town?
Gwyneth M.
user 8685690
Salt Lake City, UT
Post #: 8
Where do you find the heirloom tomatoes around town?

Hi Cody,

A great place to find Heirloom tomatoes is at the Wasatch Garden Plant sale. It's coming up on May 8th at Rowland Hall. They have all kinds of other plants as well. I have an entry in the 'Discussion' area of our group here that tells more about it.

Gwyneth