addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Minneapolis Vegan Meetup Message Board › Newbie Vegan

Newbie Vegan

Brooke
user 8521057
Shakopee, MN
Post #: 15
Hi everyone! I've been in this group for awhile now, but have been super busy and not able to make it to a meetup. I'm hoping you have more meetups this winter...I really need the support and friends. I have been vegetarian since January and have been slowly transitioning to vegan. It's been over a week now that I've been completely vegan (i think as far as eating goes). My husband isn't too happy about it (he's pescatarian and doesn't want to give up fish, eggs, & cheese), but I just can't do it anymore. He's not liking the meals I've been making- even though I think they are awesome! Most are from The Kind Diet...luvvv!

I'm also running into rude people in public places ... like Jimmie Johns... I ordered a veggie sub with no cheese or mayo and the lady gave me the strangest look. then told the guy making the sub- 'yeah no cheese' and gave the sub a disgusted look. WTH? Is this what it's going to be like being vegan? Ppl looking at me like I'm insane or from another planet? Im just making my own choices - nobody gets it. And I'm not sure how to explain it. I don't have all the statistics and witty comebacks memorized, but I've done the research and read the facts and my mind is made up. I have seemingly hundreds of reasons (health, animals, environment, etc) that I just don't feel like going into a huge spiel every time i tell someone I'm vegan or pass on some 'food' that i choose not to eat anymore... how do you keep it simple?

I have sooooo much I need to talk about- would love to chat with some local vegans :)
A former member
Post #: 18
Hey Newbie,

Here are some suggestions for you:

1. Like Vegan University on Facebook! That's a great place to connect with other people who are going vegan or are new and there are lots of people who have been doing this for a long time there, too.

2. You might want to sign up for a vegan mentor through Vegan Univeristy, that might be a good option for you, too. A mentor would be able to help you figure out how to navigate interactions with strangers, be someone to talk with about your husband's misgivings, and also be a go-to person for practical advice, and they can give you a heads up about various vegan friendly events in town.