Minneapolis Vegan Meetup Message Board › Sickened by Soy

Sickened by Soy

Katie L.
TheCatsMeow
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 2
I know that one can be vegan and not eat soy. Frankly, I'm so disgusted by it and tired of eating it that I can't take it anymore. I think the reason that I don't like it is that it can be made into so many different foods-that just seems creepy to me.
I'm new to veganism, and I just need help.
I really need more protein sources, and soy (fake meat) just isn't going to cut it. (Although I recently made tempeh tacos and was quite satisfied)I like peanut butter, seeds, nuts, and almond milk, and basically any bean. While these items are great, they probably get old after some time.
I also thought I would try coconut milk yogurt, but was disappointed to discover that one serving only has 2 grams of protein.

Since I 'changed' my diet, I've gained about 5 pounds, and I believe this is due to eating too many carbs and grains and not enough protein. So-any help is greatly appreciated!

Katie
A former member
Post #: 105
First off, I'm a rather inexperienced Vegan myself...but I hope my sharing my perspective can be helpful.

The variety of beans and the ways in which they can be prepared is high enough that I have to think that it would take a very long time before a person would really just say, "ok, enough with beans, I'm done with them!" The main reason why soy is used in so many manners is not just because it is a versatile bean, it's also so common because it happens to be relatively inexpensive to produce, and is a leading crop right now. Other beans could be just as versatile, but due to a variety of factors they would not be as successful due to the average person's misconceptions about them.

But let me get back on track with your initial question. There are a few things to keep in mind on the protein question. Protein is important, everyone knows this. Especially Vegans, literally every single person I know that has talked to me about my recent diet change has always brought this subject up. It's a funny thing...but a Vegan's protein comes from where an Omnivore's protein gets their protein. :)

The reality about plant protein is that while it is in everything, we really do need to obtain it from a wide variety of sources. This is because most if not all of vegetable protein is "incomplete". What this means is that the variety of amino acids in a particular protein available to us does not encompass all that we need. I really believe this is one of the main reasons why people try a Vegan diet and give it up...they don't eat a wide enough variety of food.

Another thing worth mentioning is that while eggs/chicken/beef/tuna is indeed among the highest food items in protein count. That doesn't mean it is the best for humans to eat. It is seriously worth mentioning that animal protein can be very harmful to us, and the animal protein obtained in western diet is directly linked to the shocking ratio of people who develop osteoporosis. And then there is that whole cholesterol matter....

To get back to the point of your question...something I would personally recommend would be experimenting with textured vegetable protein. Yes, it is made from soy, but it can be added to all sorts of dishes. As an example I have successfully put it in OATMEAL and you can't even tell it is there.

Also, I am guessing here...but am I correct in assuming you are using soy products as direct meal replacements? For example, are you eating a lot of mock-meats, which are usually made from soy/wheat? If that is the case, I would recommend not using soy to serve as substitutes for meats that you use to eat, but look for NEW recipes, and NEW types of food you may not be as familiar with. Rethink the traditional idea of "entree + side dishes" that have dominated our meal planning for generations. Your entire meal can be the same dish, especially if it is something with a variety of ingredients.

You might not like every dish you try, but an easy goal is to discover 1 new food item per week that you like...If you can do that, I think you could be well on your way to having something you enjoy about every meal.

PS: If you're concerned about weight gain from over-eating...The best advice I've ever received is to keep an accurate food journal of everything you eat. Find a way that is easy for you. Personally I use an app on my phone for this. I can't think of the number of times where it's made me realize I was seriously not needing to eat and could be perfectly content with saying no.
A former member
Post #: 9
Don't even worry about protein. You get enough just by eating a balanced diet of whole foods. Most people just believe we need lots of animal protein because that's what they've always heard, but virtually everyone has no clue about proper nutrition. But if you want to check (and/or rebut challenges to your veganism), the amount of protein needed depends on your body type, but somewhere in the range of 50 grams per day, and you'll quickly see you're easily meeting that.