|Sent on:||Friday, October 19, 2012 11:43 AM|
Dear Friends and Fellow Vegetarians,
I hope you are all enjoying this great fall weather. We now have more than 619 members, and I welcome you if you are new to our group! Our humane society formed this vegetarian society several years ago in order to promote a meat- and dairy-free lifestyle, meet like-minded folks and to help reduce the suffering and abuse of farm animals. We also encourage the cross-pollination between our two groups! If you would like to assist us in our mission to help animals in our community on a regular basis, here are 5 steps you can take:
1. register to volunteer at http://www.meetup.com/humanesociety-54/. We will be bagging groceries for tips at a Winn Dixie on Saturday, October 27th, from 11 am to 3 pm. We presently care for more than 150 formerly abused or orphaned animals, including horses, ferrets and two donkeys!!!
2. donate your used car, boat or van to our group. Contact [address removed] for more details.
3. educate yourself on what happens to animals during natural disasters by visiting the website of our newly formed oversight committee, the Louisiana Council to Protect Animals in Disasters, at http://www.animalsinreview.com/
4. Donate pet food at our community pet food bank, housed on the second floor of the Animal Medical Center, 4734 Magazine Street. Feral cats can be sterilized there for only $15 per male/$25.00 per female. They also have a trap loan program! Call them for details at[masked]
5. make a donation to www.humanela.org
Director, Humane Society of Louisiana